Using mod_crypt for FPGs

Started by square, June 12, 2011, 03:55:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

square

Hey guys. You don't hear much from me on this board, but I would like to ask a question or two related to mod_crypt and encrypting FPG files.

I am on the brink of releasing a Caanoo demo for "Hero: The Realm" which you will see soon on http://blackcurtainstudio.com/blackcurtain/herotherealm.php

I'm guessing encrypting FPG would be possible, but looking at the example program on this board in the spanish section there is only mention of basic variables to "crypt".

Also there is a comment line within that states:

// sizeof of this struct must be aligned to 8

Would there be any problem now in encrypting/decrypting an FPG. Because I have no idea, and Sandman states he does not know either.

Thanks guys.

For the sale of the actual game I'm not going to bother with "commerical-type" serials and keys or anything, unless there is another resolution before my full game is released. That would be wonderful though.
(also apoligies for the handy alternative "english board" going down in flames, it was infested with bots and I did not look after it.)
Square-theorist.

FreeYourMind

I'm Geca from Gp32x forums, and I ask you again, you will sell a game with graphics ripped from SEGA Wonder Boy ?
You will have problems with this man...

square

I would not try to sell a game with graphics ripped from SEGA Wonder Boy!

I admit it has likenesses, I wanted to make a game similar to it.

Please look at the game Wonder Boy and compare, before accusing me. You are welcome to post the results here.

edit: here is a page with description of WonderboyIII: The Dragon's Trap. http://www.retroactive.co.nz/?p=83
Square-theorist.

FreeYourMind

I'm not acussing you, it's evident  ;D
I have no problems with your decisions, I just give you a friendly advise...

square

Wow.

I honestly completely forgot that sprite! I'll tell you something, I sourced a few graphics in 2002 (and I do remember now taking part of that one) to help me design the whole sprite-set. There used to be a demo for Hero: The Realm on DIV Arena.

Anyhow I hope you can agree it's very slight... and you sir have eagle-eyed vision! You could post any other likenesses if you want to.

Well, can anyone help me with the topic question please?
Square-theorist.

FreeYourMind

So, I have some reason no ?  :D

It's ok, your game looks great, i hope you release it soon.

About your question, I never used a encripted FPG, why you need this feature ?

square

Yes, you do have reason, I really forgot bits of graphics were in fact sourced from Wonderboy games, not "ripped" as such, is all. I will try and change the graphics, after some research. We all know what SEGA are like!! Plus I would not have the right to release a game with ripped graphics anyhow.

I would not like another Bennu user to use my FPG, I will not even package it with the demo. This is really quite normal, I think, as I spent a lot of work on the graphics alone!

Is FPG encryption possible using mod_crypt? or indeed any other way?
Square-theorist.

FreeYourMind

You don't need encriptation to protect the fpg, simply compile the dcb with the parameter -a, and all the sources including the fpg is included in the dcb, and is not easy to extract. Try it.

square

That's magical, thank you so much! I guess it's thanks to Bennu crew and SplinterGU that the parameter -a compile is possible.
Square-theorist.

square

Oh, and would there be a similar solution for compiling modules, dlls etc. into the dcb? I find it's a big problem, having to supply the BennuGD runtime whole package, with a game!
Square-theorist.

SplinterGU

-a don't protect yours resources, the resources added with -a parameter can be extracted, don't easy, but can be extracted.
Download Lastest BennuGD Release: http://www.bennugd.org/node/2

square

Well I cannot see too many people trying hard to pull apart a .dcb to get at my resources. ;D

Thanks for making me aware, however.
Square-theorist.

FreeYourMind

By the way, i sell you my DRM system to protect your comercial game, if you want xDD

square

Quote from: square on June 12, 2011, 07:25:44 PM
Oh, and would there be a similar solution for compiling modules, dlls etc. into the dcb? I find it's a big problem, having to supply the BennuGD runtime whole package, with a game!

Well, is there a possible solution for this?

Thanks for the offer, FreeYourMind. I will have to think about it.
Square-theorist.

FreeYourMind

I'm jocking a little bit :)
But it's not a bad idea, i will work on a distributable version of my DRM system for developers who interested in this DRM, it works on Wiz and Caanoo sucessfull, and i'm working on pandora implementation right now.