Super Magic Monster Chaser - Global Game Jam 2015

Started by JaViS, January 26, 2015, 02:09:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JaViS

Another Global Game Jam and we've used BennuGD again for making our game.

The game is about a magician who liberated an horrendous monster by mistake and tries to defeat him, but first he will need to chase him riding his dragon.

More info and download available on the next link! (Source Code also available!! =))

http://gamejolt.com/games/arcade/super-magic-monster-chaser/46254/

Working on Anarkade. A couch multiplayer 2D shooter.

blabla

Gee, how i missed this ?

For those who didn't played the game :
It's a mostly flappy bird-like game where you have to catch a yeti.
So when you chase the monster, it plays like flappy bird :
You press Space to Fly and avoid random obstacles.
There's one problem though that's not in flappy bird :
Since your character will not be at the center when flying fullspeed
but slightly on the right of the screen, you need to react crazy fast
to avoid the obstacles and most of time it's chance.
Probably the worst part though is the fight with the yeti :
After you catch him, you're supposed to fight him by pressing
one of the buttons.
The game shows me a SNES pad and it's telling me to press the Y (ALT or CTRL ?) button.
I tried twice using CTRL and ALT and that didn't worked.
The third time, i tried by spamming the buttons and i was able to defeat it.
The music could be more fitting and the very few sound effects are so low
you probably won't be able to hear them.
On a positive note :
the drawings are great and the dragon's animation is ok though the background is repetitive.

In conclusion, you can clearly see it's a game made for some game jam
and it's just not very fun.
It's very short with little to no replayability.

I was actually considering porting this game to Android/OUYA/Dreamcast
but even by fixing the few flaws, that game just doesn't have much interest.

Also, i can see you rated the game with the descriptors : "Brief Nudity".
Is this because of the yeti, a joke or maybe i missed something ?

FreeYourMind

blabla

Quote from: FreeYourMind on May 28, 2015, 10:07:49 AM
do you want a open hand heald port ?
Who you're asking, me or Javis ?
I don't think it's worth the trouble, unless you want to improve it a bit.
EDIT : Plus it's probably going to be too slow as it seems this game uses a high resolution.

FreeYourMind

I'm asking the autor  :P

Depends, on GCW Zero the game comes at original speed, because is the powerfull handheld running bennu on the market, superior to Pandora

blabla

Quote from: FreeYourMind on May 28, 2015, 10:21:41 AM
Depends, on GCW Zero the game comes at original speed, because is the powerfull handheld running bennu on the market, superior to Pandora
CPU wise, the GCW Zero is on par with the Pandora.
It's just that there's less overhead on GCW Zero thanks to Dingux while Pandora is using a full-blown OS.
Because BennuGD fully depends on the CPU, it's a tad faster on GCW Zero.
For 3D however, the PowerVR found inside the Pandora is much superior to the Vivante. (GCW0)

JaViS

Thanks for playing the game guys!

You can modify or port the game as you wish! It's an open source protect that I think is more interesting by its code than by the game itself.

Regarding the nudity flag, yup, it's because of the yeti, I thought it might be appropriate :P

FreeYourMind

Bennu engine on GCW Zero run 100% full speed, I made 10 ports and all of them runs 100% fullspeed, note pandora have more resolution options, some of them can slow a little bit, so at 320x240 on GCW Zero this don't happen you get always full speed, becase you are limited in resolution and don't have touchscreen or other features by example.
also if you change resolution from bigger to 320x240 you also will get high speed

blabla

QuoteBennu engine on GCW Zero run 100% full speed, I made 10 ports and all of them runs 100% fullspeed, note pandora have more resolution options, some of them can slow a little bit, so at 320x240 on GCW Zero this don't happen you get always full speed, becase you are limited in resolution and don't have touchscreen or other features by example.
also if you change resolution from bigger to 320x240 you also will get high speed
Well, i can't deny it's running pretty well on GCW Zero.
I forgot the OpenPandora's resolution was much higher (800x480) then the GCW Zero. (320x240)
Seems like downscaling to a low resolution is faster than downscaling to a slightly lower resolution, interesting.
EDIT: Might be a good idea to port this game to OpenPandora and GCW Zero,
just to see what's the best console of all time.

FreeYourMind

yes, if you have the console you can try dead eye, this is from a superior resolution to a smaller and runs 100% fullspeed even with the screen full of shoots, enemies and missiles. Finally we can see bennu running on a portable console without any kind of speed problems

FreeYourMind

no need to know it, open pandora is better so far, due the others features, for me caanoo is the best portable console, but needs a led screen and better processor to be the best portable and small console ever made

blabla

Quoteyes, if you have the console you can try dead eye, this is from a superior resolution to a smaller and runs 100% fullspeed even with the screen full of shoots, enemies and missiles. Finally we can see bennu running on a portable console without any kind of speed problems
Sorry, i wanted to get one but the GCW Zero is out of stock everywhere, it's crazy.

Quoteno need to know it, open pandora is better so far, due the others features, for me caanoo is the best portable console, but needs a led screen and better processor to be the best portable and small console ever made
Caanoo is dead unfortunely, it's pretty rare now and the OpenPandora is expensive and cost a house.
Also, BennuGD is quite heavy on cpu resources : i find this very worrying the fact that BennuGD requires a good cpu and it doesn't help it's all interpreted.

Anyways, i want to see this game running GCW Zero so now, i'm all for the port.
I think i'll port this game to the PS2/Sega Dreamcast, it might be a good benchmark.

JaViS

My original idea was to increase the dificult each time you reached the boss, and to add more possible boss / counter actions, too bad the time wasn't enough :P

blabla

Quote from: JaViS on May 28, 2015, 12:16:25 PM
My original idea was to increase the dificult each time you reached the boss, and to add more possible boss / counter actions, too bad the time wasn't enough :P
Even with more fights, if the fights are not interesting themselves then it's just not worth.
I don't like the counter system too, it's just not intuitive and not fun.

JaViS

We made it that way because it was originally planned to be played with a XBOX controller we had in the Jam :P