On key release, find specs of game, how old os's can run?

Started by MisterN, September 02, 2012, 10:03:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MisterN

1. How would I do a key release function?

//rename the current level
    if(key(_r))
        if(rename_pressed!=true)
            //Draw the dialog box
                drawing_color(dialog_box);
                drawing_z(-1);
                draw_box(70,60,250,85);
            //Draw the text on the dialog box
                text_z = -5; //this way its above the dialog box
                write(0,80,70,0,"NAME: ");
                write(0,80,90,0,"*rename the current level");
                //Type in the name
                temp_string = textinput();
            //level.filename is textinput()
                level.filename=temp_string;
                say("level.filename has been renamed to: "+level.filename);
        end
        rename_pressed = true;
    else
        rename_pressed = false;
    end

Works when I press r, but it always types r as well. So I figure I can easily fix this by making it an on-release command. How could I make it so that this will work when I RELEASE the R key?

2. How would I find the specs for a game made in bennu?

3. How old of operating systems can run these games? Windows 3.1, Mac OS 9, Linux from the early 2000's, etc.?

Thanks
werg

handsource-dyko

Any os older then windows 2000 is out of the question. Older versions of fenix worked fine on win98, but recent versions of bennu don't seem to work with win9x in my experience. MacOS 9 is really ancient, it was the last mac os version that was based on the very first macintosh operating system. Older linux versions might work, depending on the sdl version.  But linux is not a system that is renowned for prestine backwards compatiblity. For sake of progress, things update / change / break even more often then other systems.

When it comes down to specs in terms of hardware, it really depends on your game. When it comes down to memory usage, just monitor your game with the task manager fof a couple of ours a few times and if you don't see any signs of leaks you can estimate a minimum amount.

With malvado I thought it only used about 20mb, but after running it for a day I was shoked by seeing a 700mb+ number. (I know I have a very big memory leak somewhere, that I can't track, but after so many ours of uptime the demo starts glitching). It drives me crazy because I have read my code so many times and I have to undo some small changes. I think the let_me_alone() function in the main process is the culprit.

About the key release function, isn't it possible to use a flag in combination with a timer?