Bad news, google code is depreacting downloads!

Started by handsource-dyko, June 12, 2013, 01:40:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

handsource-dyko

Today I uploaded my new project dyko gui to my google code page and say in the "create download" section a notification that google will drop support for creating downloads in a google code project page by januari, 15, 2014. They do this because of abuse issues. What I've read on the comments of this blogger article, is that quite a lot of users are not very happy with this, including myself.

Google probably wants users to use google drive instead.  :o I think this is good reason to consider looking for alternative code hosting sites.
I don't want google drive, because of "privacy issues" and because google changes things in their services (such as the new youtube design wich sucks) without asking the users for their approval.

A lot of us use google code with it's download feature (because it's easy for end users), so we may have to look around for alternatives. I have been reading some articles and I get the feeling google may discontinue google code some day.

panreyes

Someday, BennuGD projects will be up and people won't need to SACRIFICE THEIR SOULS to upload their games xD

JaViS

Why don't you upload your project to bitbucket or guithub?
Working on Anarkade. A couch multiplayer 2D shooter.

handsource-dyko

I may have a look at it. Personally, I think a download feature is a necessity. It's easier for the end users and I have once tried a svn for malvado but I had not set it up properly so I couldn't comit my changes and got a bit confused with scm's. :-[

osk