Ubuntu PPA

Started by josebita, March 11, 2009, 01:19:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

josebita

Hi everybody!

I've created a Ubuntu PPA for BennuGD. PPA's are online repositories for binary programs that, once you've configured your system, allow you to install & update those programs without effort.
The idea is to upload a new version of BennuGD once a week or so -if there are updates in the SVN code- so that you always have the latest code in your linux box.
As of now, I have only uploaded the bennugd-core and bennugd-core-dev packages (which include bgdc, bgdi, libbgdrtm.so,libbgdrtm.la & libbgdrtm.a) that should allow you to create minimum games and extensions.
There's a small catch, however. the -dev package doesn't yet include the bennugd headers so compilation of your own extensions will fail. I should upload a newer version soon that does include them. Sorry about that.
I will be uploading the rest of the oficially supported extensions (and some of my own projects, like pango/iconv libraries) soon.

Oh, the binaries are there for i386, x86_64 & lpia architectures.
The PPA is at:
https://launchpad.net/~josebagar/+archive/ppa/

Hope it's useful.

SplinterGU

cool! thanks... karma up!
Download Lastest BennuGD Release: http://www.bennugd.org/node/2

osk

Great!!
This could be linked in a specific section of the "Downloads" part of the web, I suggest...

josebita

The idea is to make it really simple to install bennu in ubuntu/debian, but you should really wait to have something usable on the PPA before starting to use it :) (It will be a matter of days, at most).

Sandman

That is nice; too bad I'm running Windows still. ;)
-- Sandman

josebita

Quote from: Sandman on March 11, 2009, 12:35:55 PM
That is nice; too bad I'm running Windows still. ;)
Another reason to switch to linux :)

josebita

I've uploaded an updated version of the core that should install the required headers and also a pkg-config script to make compiling easier.

The builds for amd64 and lpia are done, but the i386 build machine seems to be a bit overloaded, so it might take a while for the binaries to appear.

Now, let's go package the modules :)

josebita

I'm still working on this. Right now, I'm trying to get the modules to package, but compiling everything again and again is a bit slow, so please be patient.

As I needed a new version of the bennugd-core package to compile the modules, I've uploaded today's svn version to the PPA (should hit the archive soon).

josebita

The modules (not their associated "-dev" packages) have hit the PPA for both i386 & amd64.
The packaging still needs a lot of tweaking and some things might change, but right now you can just install bennugd-core and bennugd-modules and you should get a fully working bennugd installation in Ubuntu.

I'll issue updates as I have time that should fix the remaining issues (and also upload devel packages), but hopefully you'll just see that bennugd-* gets updated now and then.
Testing is appreciated.

SplinterGU

Download Lastest BennuGD Release: http://www.bennugd.org/node/2

josebita

I haven only tested the bennugd-core package and it did run correctly (well, it compiled and ran an empty program). With a bit more time (I'm going on vacation tomorrow) I can test bennu on 64 bits and report on results.

josebita

I've updated the packages to today's svn version. Due to changes in the way the packaging is made, you _might_ have to uninstall the bennugd-modules, update bennugd-core* and then reinstall bennugd-modules for a clean update.
I'm sorry about this, it should not happen again.

josebita

I've updated the version of the core to r39, added the bennugd-modules-dev package (with their corresponding pkg-config scripts... there are lots of them!) and also uploaded my pango library (which is now extremely easy to install in linux :)).

Time for some sleep!

Imerion

Thanks a lot for creating this PPA! I use Ubuntu, so it will be really helpful.

Just a question though, will you add packages for extensions later on, like external libraries and such? Would be nice to have the 3D-library for example.
Try my games : Neotron Games

josebita

Thanks Imerion, I hope you find it useful.

If you look at the PPA right now, I have uploaded a couple of my extensions (iconv to convert text between charsets & pango to render complex text).
I will upload more extensions with time. And I'm really very excited about bennu3d, so you will see it in the PPA when it's ready for linux (the author suggested he's working on a new version).

I also plan to upload some other "minor" things which are useful, like syntax highlighting for gedit support.

Just give me time :)