Super Magic Monster Chaser - Global Game Jam 2015

Started by JaViS, January 26, 2015, 02:09:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JaViS

BTW, if you are looking for something to port, you may want to take a look at the other games we made with Bennu for Game Jams: http://gamejolt.com/profile/pixelatom/17565/
Working on Anarkade. A couch multiplayer 2D shooter.

Outlaw

Hi JaVIS! The game looks great, I love the graphics style (it reminds me of Yoshi's Island). Just one thing I've noticed. There's a string used for the mage that has a grammar error:

"We are going to loose" --> Loose is wrong , it's used when something is unfasten, like a rope, etc., (in Spanish "suelto"). The correct term is "lose", i.e. I've lost my keys and can't find them (in Spanish, "perder").

Cheers!
"Life is cheap when the bounty is high"

JaViS

Outlaw

Hey, don't worrry. If you ever need a LQA tester, just let me know! ;)

Cheers!
"Life is cheap when the bounty is high"

blabla

Quote from: JaViS on May 29, 2015, 03:13:43 PM
BTW, if you are looking for something to port, you may want to take a look at the other games we made with Bennu for Game Jams: http://gamejolt.com/profile/pixelatom/17565/
Thanks javis ! It seems like i forgot one game, i'm already working on a port though...

One more question, what's your next project(s) ?
If i remember well, you currently have two projects, Ball Fighters and another one without a name,
how much progress you have made on your games ?

JaViS

Thank you for asking!

I'm afraid that those projects, Ball Fighters and another one without a name, won't be continued. The reason is mainly because one of the 3 members who are Pixelatom left the team, and the one who left was very involved in those projects.
He could continue with Balls Fighters, since it was mostly his own project, but I don't know if he is actually planning to do any more work on that. If you are interested in it you should go and leave a comment in the project page at Indie DB or GameJolt.

There wasn't much advance on the other project either, there was only one character and a tileset made. I might release or publish the tileset in the future, since it was my work, and I don't want it to be wasted.

What I'm working on right now is another game that has been in development the last 2 years. I know it's too much, but we were going pretty slow and just this year we started to dedicate more time on it (after Pixelatom was dissolved).

The game is a local multiplayer VS shooter, from 2 to 4 players, maybe the best way to describe it is "a cross between Unreal Tournament and Super Crate Box".

We have the gameplay done, and we are working now on the graphics and game content. The departure of the team member forced us to redesign the characters graphics.

The game features multiple weapons, select-able character skins, random arenas (so you never play the same stage twice), power ups, etc.

Technically speaking, we feature automatic zoom, a very cool random stage algorithm, a pretty intelligent way to skin these random stages doing some math calculation to choose the right tile to use on every space, a very nice plat-former engine with characters that can run, do double jumps, grab on the edges of the walls, etc.

The last 2 games we made in the game jams are actually using much code we made for the game we are doing now. We are sharing much of that code as open-source because we got to make a sort of framework for solving many common issues:

* Hardness map physics for platformers
* A common layer for user input (joystickkeyboardmouse..)
* Animations
* Motion Tween animations
* Tilemap render

blabla

Quote from: JaViS on June 01, 2015, 01:41:06 AM
I'm afraid that those projects, Ball Fighters and another one without a name, won't be continued. The reason is mainly because one of the 3 members who are Pixelatom left the team, and the one who left was very involved in those projects.
He could continue with Balls Fighters, since it was mostly his own project, but I don't know if he is actually planning to do any more work on that. If you are interested in it you should go and leave a comment in the project page at Indie DB or GameJolt.       
I didn't know PixelAtom was dissolved !
Well, it's seems we will never see these projects completed.
I will ask him at IndieDB but i'm afraid he's not going to give me a positive answer...
It would be very nice though to have the assets and the source code for the games, especially Ball Fighters !

The game is a local multiplayer VS shooter, from 2 to 4 players, maybe the best way to describe it is "a cross between Unreal Tournament and Super Crate Box".
We have the gameplay done, and we are working now on the graphics and game content. The departure of the team member forced us to redesign the characters graphics.
The game features multiple weapons, select-able character skins, random arenas (so you never play the same stage twice), power ups, etc.
Technically speaking, we feature automatic zoom, a very cool random stage algorithm, a pretty intelligent way to skin these random stages doing some math calculation to choose the right tile to use on every space, a very nice plat-former engine with characters that can run, do double jumps, grab on the edges of the walls, etc.
The last 2 games we made in the game jams are actually using much code we made for the game we are doing now. We are sharing much of that code as open-source because we got to make a sort of framework for solving many common issues:
* Hardness map physics for platformers
* A common layer for user input (joystickkeyboardmouse..)
* Animations
* Motion Tween animations
* Tilemap render
Super Crate Box and Unreal Tournament combined ? Mmm, that already sounds too awesome !
i'm glad you cancelled the 2 other projects :d

Also, thank you for even planning on releasing the sources, i'm sure aliasbody would love to hear this !
Many Indie developers don't even understand you can release a GPL-game on Steam for a fee.
All the gamers want is to have the game inside Steam.
In fact, if your too-awesome-game ever gets released, you should put the data and the code under the GPL and sell it on steam,
just to see what happen.
According to proprietary developers, you should lose money but my game Rubby bird was open sourced (available on my website)
and i'm still making lots of money despite being GPL'd.

Anyways, back on topic and one last question.
To me, it's seems like you designed the game for OUYA, am i right ?
Local multiplayer games only exist on OUYA :d

Thanks for your answers !

JaViS

Doing it GPL is a very interesting idea! But it's something to discuss with the other member.

We are preparing a proper release of our library though. It'll have examples and documentation, etc

We are now focused on having something to show, and then maybe a beta or an early access release, we have to think what is the best

And yes, it was initially planned to be released on OUYA, but after discovering some issues Benny has with multiple joysticks in Android I believe it won't be possible. :(

blabla

QuoteAnd yes, it was initially planned to be released on OUYA, but after discovering some issues Benny has with multiple joysticks in Android I believe it won't be possible. :(
Ha yes, i remember the thread you're talking about. http://forum.bennugd.org/index.php?topic=4023.0
Josebita's BennuGD fork partially switched to SDL2 and SDL2 introduced not only hardware scaling
but a new api called GameControllers as well which should solve the issues you have with the controllers on OUYA.
Josebita's BennuGD fork is still not using the new GameControllers API but the old joystick API. (which is still available and not deprecated yet)

Good luck with your game !

JaViS

Quote from: blabla on June 01, 2015, 04:58:51 PM
QuoteAnd yes, it was initially planned to be released on OUYA, but after discovering some issues Benny has with multiple joysticks in Android I believe it won't be possible. :(
Ha yes, i remember the thread you're talking about. http://forum.bennugd.org/index.php?topic=4023.0
Josebita's BennuGD fork partially switched to SDL2 and SDL2 introduced not only hardware scaling
but a new api called GameControllers as well which should solve the issues you have with the controllers on OUYA.
Josebita's BennuGD fork is still not using the new GameControllers API but the old joystick API. (which is still available and not deprecated yet)

Good luck with your game !

I'm aware of Josebita's fork, but sadly our game is not compatible with it. Another thing which I think is a pity is to lose the capability of using 8 bits graphics. Pixelart can really use palette support on Bennu.

Thanks pal!

blabla

Seems like you're stuck with the OUYA version. Alright then.
I'll just let you finish the game and then we'll see what we can do for the OUYA version after the game is released.
Cheers