Smart Fpg Editor

Started by darío, January 03, 2009, 01:19:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darío

Hi,

New version uploaded (0.4.0) with Drag&Drop and Copy&Paste as main additions. All the relevant information in the first post.

I'd really appreciate that you let me know if you find any bugs, as I have very limited time for testing.

Hope you like it!

Darío
My sites:
Smart Fpg Editor - Painless FPG Edition for Bennu and PixTudio
fenixlib - .NET support for manipulating PixTudio, Bennu and Div graphic formats

izubiaurre

As far as I have proved this application, I've found only one "bug".

In Win 7, I have to register before the execution of Smart FPG Editor. Firstly, I click on register.cmd file and the the application exe. So I have made an SmartFpgEditor.cmd for that.

Copy&paste, drag&drop works fine for me.

A good job man!

darío

Hey Izubiaurre, thank you very much for the feedback.

Do you mean the register.cmd must be called every time you want to start the application or just the first time you want to use the editor??

My sites:
fenixlib - .NET support for manipulating PixTudio, Bennu and Div graphic formats

izubiaurre

Everytime I have to run, register must be pre-executed.

JaViS

Why dont you do like we did in fbtwo?  It auto-register all the components at the startup of the app.
Working on Anarkade. A couch multiplayer 2D shooter.

darío

Quote from: izubiaurre on May 07, 2011, 10:52:41 AM
Mmm that's weird, I believe there must be something related to how Windows 7 deals with registering dlls..

Could you try running the "register.cmd" in admin mode?? I suspect that might solve the problem.

Anyway, why aren't you using the installer package?? It won't make any hurt to your system and the registering and un-registering of the COM components is handled transparently by the installer...

With the binary distribution you would need to unregister the components on your own before deleting the application...

I did try the installer of 0.2.0 in Win7 and had no trouble... I'll see if I can get a computer with this SO to try again with the binary distribution...

Thanks again for the testing!

Quote from: JaViS on May 07, 2011, 01:17:37 PM
Why dont you do like we did in fbtwo?  It auto-register all the components at the startup of the app.

I first thought of that but I think it is not a smart idea as that would mean that the application would require administration privileges every time you want to execute, which may be fine for WinXP where most users are running it with the administration privileges but does not fit Win7 for example...
Besides, that made FBTWO crash when run without admin privileges... If I had to prepare a new distribution of Flamebird I would definitely opt for an installer version and would remove the auto-registering thing...

To be honest, I don't see a reason for not using the installer... The binary package was actually intended for those users that wanted to try it under Wine or things like that...
My sites:

handsource-dyko

64 bit windows 7 is also a bit of an issue. It works, but registering on 64 bit windows is different from the 32 bit version. Regsvr32.exe isn't included with the 64 bit version. (Maybe a win7/vista specific issue). The name of the regsvr32.exe suggets that it's intended for win32.

tmoney

i've used the installer and it works beautifully on my windows 7, 64-bit machine.  the only thing i don't quite understand (and this happened on the old version too) is why sometimes certain graphics appear out of order.  for instance graphic 999 is between 166, and 201 of this FPG:

not a big deal, none of the data is mixed up or anything, just a bit odd.

izubiaurre

Quote from: darío on May 07, 2011, 02:19:07 PM

Anyway, why aren't you using the installer package?? It won't make any hurt to your system and the registering and un-registering of the COM components is handled transparently by the installer...

I tested again after the install. Works fine. The app gives me no such messages again.

Thanks!

darío

Quote from: handsource-dyko on May 07, 2011, 03:40:23 PM
64 bit windows 7 is also a bit of an issue. It works, but registering on 64 bit windows is different from the 32 bit version. Regsvr32.exe isn't included with the 64 bit version. (Maybe a win7/vista specific issue). The name of the regsvr32.exe suggets that it's intended for win32.

Thanks for this info, that kind of explains the problem... as the isntaller uses a different way to register dlls (no need for regsvr32) it works well... The binary package requires registering manually the COM components... To my mind, an user using this package should know how to do this in his system... I included the command line batch files to ease it and because when I did it there was no Win7 I didn't even consider this... I'll check options to overcome this situations but I insist that most of the people should use the installer if they don't have a good reason not to do so...

Quote from: tmoney on May 07, 2011, 04:51:49 PM
i've used the installer and it works beautifully on my windows 7, 64-bit machine.  the only thing i don't quite understand (and this happened on the old version too) is why sometimes certain graphics appear out of order.  for instance graphic 999 is between 166, and 201 of this FPG:

Mmm yes this is true and the reason is because in an FPG file it is not necessary that Graphics are sorted by their code, so when the FPG has been created with another tool it may happen this situation. However, as far as I remember SFPGE will always write the graphic data sorted by their code so as a short-come you can save the file and reopening it again. That should make your FPG to be sorted. I will however fix this for the next release as it is actually very easy to do... Thanks for the feedback!

Quote from: izubiaurre on May 07, 2011, 09:59:33 PM
Quote from: darío on May 07, 2011, 02:19:07 PM

I tested again after the install. Works fine. The app gives me no such messages again.

Thanks!

Good to hear that! Thanks to you for trying it! :)
My sites:

darío

Quote from: tmoney on May 07, 2011, 04:51:49 PM
i've used the installer and it works beautifully on my windows 7, 64-bit machine.  the only thing i don't quite understand (and this happened on the old version too) is why sometimes certain graphics appear out of order.  for instance graphic 999 is between 166, and 201 of this FPG:

Mmm yes this is true and the reason is because in an FPG file it is not necessary that Graphics are sorted by their code, so when the FPG has been created with another tool it may happen this situation. However, as far as I remember SFPGE will always write the graphic data sorted by their code so as a short-come you can save the file and reopening it again. That should make your FPG to be sorted. I will however fix this for the next release as it is actually very easy to do... Thanks for the feedback!

Ok I checked it and I had in fact taken this situation into account but missed an = in a ">=" comparison :).  Now it is fixed
Thanks again!

Darío
My sites:

tmoney

Quote from: darío on May 08, 2011, 10:57:31 AM

Ok I checked it and I had in fact taken this situation into account so but missed an = in a ">=" comparison :).  Now it is fixed
Thanks again!

Darío

awesome  :)

handsource-dyko

I've managed to install smart fpg editor 0.40 under wine! :) But, it does not work flawlessly, and I had to use the manual installer. I first used the automated installer, and installed the commoncontrols and vb6 runtime under wine, then I got an axtiveX error 429. Then I installed the manual version and ran the register script in wine's own command shell. After that, it works mostly, but don't expect it to be as flawless as under windows. Some things do not work under linux or are glitchy. I just wanted to tell this, because it can be usefull for linux and mac users. Maybe wine compatibility could become a feature. ;)

darío

Hi,

I agree wine compatibility would be great (specially considering I no longer use Windows, I only have a virtual machine installed to develop SFPGE...) but I don't really know in which direction should I work in order to make it more compatible...
Besides I am not dedicating much time to the editor so for the moment I'm happy to slowly improve it until I reach 1.0...

So I am not saying "no" but just "perhaps in the future". Thank you anyway for trying it on Linux and giving your feedback! :)
My sites:

handsource-dyko

Maybe port the code to freepascal/lazarus?  :) I've recently started learning it as secondary language because it's similair to delphi, wich I have read books about. My latest project (dykodialogs) http://code.google.com/p/dykodialogs-for-bennugd/ is partly done in it. I wanted to improve the gui of my malvado editor, so I created a library to provide some native filedialogs and a few other things in my program. The advantage of lazarus is that is is anvailible for linux, windows and mac, provides native gui widgets on these platforms, and it's to some extend compatible with older versions of delphi.