Malvado 2011 (bennu improved version 1.5)

Started by handsource-dyko, December 04, 2010, 01:33:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

handsource-dyko

I've created a google code page for the improved version of malvado,
where you can find the binary version and the dev-version.

Also, I've uploaded a work in progress version of malvado 2011. I plan to
release it in Januari.

This version has several fixes and improvements, mainly in the editor, but
also the source had an overhaul. Also, it should support Wiz controls, however
I can't test the game on the wiz. The project page is still a bit of a draft.

Anyway, you can have a look at the new version. It has some new levels and
things in it. Cutscenes are not completely finished yet (it's one of the last
things to do before final release).

http://code.google.com/p/malvado-bennuremake/

look at the downloads section, also the packages where made with 7-zip, just
download them before opening (they are split archives).

panreyes

handsource-dyko

The size is due to the fact that it's the dev-version, it contains stuff you don't actually need.
You can delete the gfx-temp directory entirely. Also, I need to do some optimization on the level
fpg's. (there's a lot of redundancy here)

panreyes

I've downloaded it and I can see no way of running it :S

FreeYourMind

Quote from: PiXeL on December 04, 2010, 03:52:33 PM
I've downloaded it and I can see no way of running it :S

You need Bennu to run it, not DIV.

panreyes

Oh my, I didn't realize!

Okay, serious now. I can't see a way to make it work.

handsource-dyko

Have you downloaded the packages in the right order?

The strange filename extension is some oddity form 7zip.
I had to span it over multiple archives, because googlecode only allows 100mb
filesize per upload.

It could be that some files are missing in the packages though, I generated them
with a script, so I could have missed something.

handsource-dyko

Sorry, my fault.I was too quickly with creating the arcives. Malvado.dat and some other files are missing.
I need to upload new archives. I just hadn't tested them. Also the 2010 version didn't work.
I will upload new packages.

handsource-dyko

I have removed the old downloads and replaced them with new archives, that should work.

handsource-dyko

I've uploaded the release candidate of the new version for testing. You can find both the DEV version as well as the binary distribution.

Both packages are for both Windows and Linux. Other os'ses like bsd/mac/haiku should work since the game only uses bennu's standard modules.

I'd like to support the GPE-wiz, however I don't have a wiz or a cannoo. Maybe someone could test the game on one of these systems; the game has support for the wiz's keymapping. Let me know If there are any problems, because I can't test these devices my self.

The game uses about <25mb of ram, so it might work. (Don't try the demo mode on the wiz/cannoo or old pc's because the game momentarely uses about 1gb of ram, that's because the four demo fpg's are loaded all together in ram just for a fancy demo ;)).

blostec

I still remember the Castle of Malvado of DIV. I have curiosity to see the remake. Downloading, nice work!

Noivern

Nice!
Just 1 thing:
this issue came from the original "castillo del dr malvado", the 'jump madness'. Could you lock the space bar?
you know, 1 stroke (or hold) = 1 jump;

NOT 1 stroke (or hold) =  jump forever while touching ground without control.

handsource-dyko

Quote from: Noivern on December 27, 2010, 07:52:40 PM
Nice!
Just 1 thing:
this issue came from the original "castillo del dr malvado", the 'jump madness'. Could you lock the space bar?

NOT 1 stroke (or hold) =  jump forever while touching ground without control.

I'll consider it. I guess you're right, I it quite annoying, other games don't seem to have this.
However, adding a frame of 500 makes it choppy, and a frame of 100 is too little. However, this jump madness can sometimes be used to your advantage. I consider a toggle setting for this.

EDIT: I've tested the old sonic and knuckles pc game, this has "locked" jumping but opensonic and jazz jackrabbit both have bounchy jumping like malvado. Another game I quickly tested is Realms of Chaos, this one has locked jumping. So you've adressed a very good point here, it seems there's no standard, but the maybe the bounching should be variable. I'll do some researce first. But I'm also working on an additional tool for mapediting, that supplements mapedit.

josebita

Wanna make a screencast so that I can upload it tot the Multimedia page?

Noivern

Quote from: handsource-dyko on December 27, 2010, 08:32:12 PM
Quote from: Noivern on December 27, 2010, 07:52:40 PM
Nice!
Just 1 thing:

NOT 1 stroke (or hold) =  jump forever while touching ground without control.

I'll consider it. I guess you're right, I it quite annoying, other games don't seem to have this.
However, adding a frame of 500 makes it choppy, and a frame of 100 is too little. However, this jump madness can sometimes be used to your advantage. I consider a toggle setting for this.

EDIT: I've tested the old sonic and knuckles pc game, this has "locked" jumping but opensonic and jazz jackrabbit both have bounchy jumping like malvado. Another game I quickly tested is Realms of Chaos, this one has locked jumping. So you've adressed a very good point here, it seems there's no standard, but the maybe the bounching should be variable. I'll do some researce first. But I'm also working on an additional tool for mapediting, that supplements mapedit.

Oh, i think i explained myself wrongly. Just don't allow the player to hold space bar to continue jumping. If you hold the space bar, after the jump, when you touch ground, you shouldn't jump anymore until you release the key and press it again.
Damn, i don't know why i complicated so much my first post xD
Sorry, my bad :P