Caanoo
Download Caanoo Version

OLD DOWNLOADS
Linux:
Download Deadly Eye (Linux)

Screen:

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HF6-1_EoOrA

Mainly in this update the performance is a lot boosted the target is... well if you understand spanish, you can read in my original thread and why i did it :D.
What's new? Few things... some SFX missing, new graphics for the menu and the boss (again thanks to Futublog) ... and that's all i can remember by now.
Soon Linux version, i'm waiting the update from josebita's ppa :P

Old stuff:
This minigame was started loooooooooooooooooong ago, in the DIV1 era :D
A lot of info about the development is located at the original thread (spanish): http://forum.bennugd.org/index.php?topic=1545.0
here is more like a mirror for english speaking people  :P

Notes: i will not add any more stages, look it like a casual minigame.
Yes, IT'S HARD. I like some stressing shmups like Esp. Ra. De. where you need to stay dodging bullets all the time, so consider yourself warned xD.

Thanks to Futublog for his amazing work with the backgrounds!!
Any comments are welcome!  ;D

handsource-dyko

Execellent game. Nice graphics and sound, however I do have one recommendation,
I suggest changing the menu texts to english. (or at least make it selectable).

Maybe you could add a joystick device selection option, since there may be more then 2 devices
attached. (My first joystick is a one button atari style joystick, and the rest are nes gamepads
attached with a four-score to usb converter).

Noivern

Quote from: handsource-dyko on December 22, 2010, 09:53:44 AM
Execellent game. Nice graphics and sound, however I do have one recommendation,
I suggest changing the menu texts to english. (or at least make it selectable).

Maybe you could add a joystick device selection option, since there may be more then 2 devices
attached. (My first joystick is a one button atari style joystick, and the rest are nes gamepads
attached with a four-score to usb converter).

Thanks! Almost all graphics are riped, some a mix between rip and selfmade, few selfmade, and the pretty backgrounds are belong to Futublog (from the spanish community), i don't get tired of say thanks to him, because the game won lots of points with his work =)
About sound: RockMan FTW!!! and TMNT also =)

I can do the language selection, i'm not bad at all at english, but it isn't a priority. Also, when i was a kid i had to play the rpgs with an english/spanish dictionary, so... english speakers could learn some spanish instead of give it cooked into their native language muajajajaja =)

I'm sorry, the joys are limited by my own engine. Adding a joy selection will complicate the logic of the aircraft and the menu selection, because i should change the the struct that controls the buttons and the way of reading the joys.
But if you want to play with the nes control, you can choose the second option: "1 jugador - 2P".
In few words:
1P = first joy attached
2P = second joy attached

The others joys aren't considered at all, again i'm sorry.
Thanks for your feedback!

Noivern

Updated game:
Some mayor performance boosts, new SFX and few new graphics.
So, please enjoy =)

Noivern

Due to some crash reports, i updated and uploaded the windows version again.

Noivern

I forgot to say that portable versions are now avalaible for the WIZ and Caanoo

handsource-dyko

I wonder, was is difficult to do a cannoo/wiz port memory wise?
I'm almost done with Malvado, I'm working on some final finishing touches and I may consider a port for the cannoo/wiz too, but I don't know how much ram there is anvailible for the game. Also, I have a handicap here, I haven't got one of these portables. Malvado can use up to 25mb during gameplay.

Noivern

Well, it's funny, i don't have any of the portable machines too xD.
It wasn't really hard to do the multiOS support. It isn't a port, is just detecting the os and change somethings like reescaling to 320x240 (via soft, global var rescale_mode), tweak some options to be unable to use in the portables and mapping all the joy buttons for wiz/caanoo (there is a lib called jkeys.lib made by Splinter with the mapping already done, i use my own code just because i didn't found that library before i started the code for the gamepads lolz).

The hard part was to do it playable: just with the above, in the test that FreeYorMind (he helped me) did it was barely playable, with poor framerate. Then i did a lot of optimizations, like avoid the use of functions like collision(), and instead of that, i used distances between shots/enemies/your aircraft to define if they are intersecting or not, and/or mixing some distance checks before the use of collision() or collision_box() or collision_circle(); all depends of what i wanted to do with specific type of shot/enemy. Also, try to avoid the use of the local var size. Those tweaks did the trick, boosting a lot the framerate. Anyway there are few drops of fps (but minimal or for short time as Free and Splinter told me), but i think it's ok, because the game is oriented to have many many enemies and bullets at the same time, and if i reduce the number of enemies or bullets it will lose its soul.

I think the result is pretty good, because anyway the wiz/caanoo are running a game programmed and with graphs made for 640x480 reescaling to 320x240 via SOFTWARE, so if you do a port taking care of the graphs, collision and size, i'm sure that it will run perfect.

Finally as memory usage, i really don't know, but here http://forum.bennugd.org/index.php?topic=1535.0 bomberlink said there are avalaible about 34~38 MB in WIZ, so in Caanoo must be a lot more, because it has double ram than wiz (64 vs 128).

I hope this help you =)

handsource-dyko

Well, I have built-in wiz compatible controls and the game is 320x200 pixels. On pc's it's scaled 2x in size.
It does use collision and local variables a lot, mainly for the editor. Although I primeraly targeted for windows and linux, the game
should work on any well supported platform. Malvado has OS detection, right now it will prompt a message on non windows/linux oses
that the user tries to run it on a non-tested platform. When it's finished I'll see if I can put up a wiz/cannoo version for testing.

DCelso

Monstruos Diabólicos

"A PAck of classic GAMEs For BennuGD" en desarrollo
http://code.google.com/p/apagame4be/

Noivern

Quote from: handsource-dyko on January 14, 2011, 09:48:48 PM
Well, I have built-in wiz compatible controls and the game is 320x200 pixels. On pc's it's scaled 2x in size.
It does use collision and local variables a lot, mainly for the editor. Although I primeraly targeted for windows and linux, the game
should work on any well supported platform. Malvado has OS detection, right now it will prompt a message on non windows/linux oses
that the user tries to run it on a non-tested platform. When it's finished I'll see if I can put up a wiz/cannoo version for testing.

uhm, i think if you just check first if the process to collide is visible on screen first, it should work because there aren't too many process on screen in malvado 2011 (or at least, i guess so). In the case of Deadly Eye it was a must the avoid of use the function collision: there are lots of process at the same time. Also, the only ones local vars that could affect in performance are the use and abuse of "size" and "alpha". If you have compatibility with the wiz buttons, so you have a lot of work already done (remember that wiz/caanoo are linux too), the only problem is trying to test in a console that you haven't u.u. Try asking FreeYourMind or SplinterGU, they are nice dudes who you can always count with them, just give them time (i hope they don't blame me for this xD).

Quote from: DCelso on January 14, 2011, 09:57:02 PM
Oh, I hope a psp version soon. :D
I'm paying attention to the thread about your psp port :D
I saw the video that Free uploaded and it seems to be slow, but i think it's because its early stage. Ofcourse i'll try to port it, but maybe i have to finally resize the graphics to fit 320x240 (oh, i'm too lazy to rearrange all U_U) because of the less cpu brute-power of psp than wiz/caanoo.