I have problem with Bennu wiki Tutorial

Started by Treval, December 25, 2008, 08:52:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Treval

Here's one remark, this code is missing 4 imports:
http://wiki.bennugd.org/index.php?title=Tutorial:Textinput

Also, I installed the latest ConTEXT version and applied the fixbennu.reg right after I installed it,
but it doesn't work.
There is no 'compile' command, and all the 'execute' shortcut commands are empty.
There is no 'Bennu' in the menu's, there is only FoxPro.

Are there some instructions on how to set up execute keys in Bennu so that you can compile with the click of
1 single menu option or the combination of two keys? (like you did with Fenix, Sandman)

Treval aka Badman

SplinterGU

Please, before say "Bennu is annoying!!", please read Documents, Tools sections... and use google too...

"http://wiki.bennugd.org/index.php?title=Tutorial:Textinput"

not is bennu, and not is complete code, It's a bunch of functions... that you can use with bennu...

If you don't agree with bennu, maybe you don't must use bennu... try with others language like "Microchot's" languages... maybe C, maybe C++, maybe C#...
Download Lastest BennuGD Release: http://www.bennugd.org/node/2

HaCkZJuaNN

It is indeed true that bennu isnt well documented, but neither was fenix, and the problem is because there is no people that document it, so the only thing you can do is to document it yourself.

However, the thing is even worse since most bennu users are spanish and therefore almost all the documentation about it is in spanish, so it is very difficult to find documentation in english.

So my reccomendation is that you make an effort and try to learn it by trying and so on... or you look for another language. Bennu is a very powerful language to make videogames in an easy way, but since there is very few documentation, you must try to learn it by your own, or post your doubts here and we will very happily answer them. :)

Sandman

The code is missing imports because the BennuWiki is a fork of FenixWiki and there are not many people contributing to the advancement. In Fenix the code did not need imports. And I see you also did not edit your discovery into the wiki. Why not?

I don't know of any fixbennu.reg, but I do know of the Setting up Bennu with ConTEXT page. So maybe you should follow that.

If you don't want to learn, then use those languages you already know. Please do not insult our hard work. We are all doing this for free and are doing what we can; we most certainly do not need some new guy insulting us by calling us, indirectly or not, stupid. If you have anything constructive to say, please do, otherwise just use C# and call Microsoft when you fuck up. Because that's what you wanted, right? Like I told you before, feel free to help in any way, for example by constructive criticism or actually doing something about it. What you are doing is insulting and not helping. Not us and certainly not yourself.

If you feel assaulted in any way by me or others, you should realize that your posts are insulting.
-- Sandman

square

Quote from: Treval on December 25, 2008, 08:52:35 PM

I want some instructions on how to set up execute keys in Bennu so that you can compile with the click of
1 single menu option or the combination of two keys. -_- (like you did with Fenix, Sadman).

I am pissed that I've never had it this hard to learn a stupid programming language! =D
I've had Java, .NET, C#, but this!!! Is just!! Annoying!!
I get stuck at least twice in ANY application that I write!
Bloody annoying!

Anyway

Bennu is still in development, thus the releases are called WIPs. Bennuwiki /is/ slightly unfinished, but you should have read "Setting up Context properly" before deciding you couldn't hotkey compiling and running. Also there is a wiki lookup option, so it's not badly documented in that sense. Also you will find the Fenix/Bennu .chl for highlighters in the same wiki section.

NO-one ever said using Bennu would be an experience like Java, .NET or C# because these are HUGE and mainstream.

But don't put down Bennu before actually reading the wiki you claim is no good. And don't expect help in future with major put downs like the above post.

That's conceited and foolish of you.
Square-theorist.

josebita

I've changed the example to show the imports needed in bennu.

Hope it helps. Also, Treval, try to be constructive and we'll all try to be helpful.

panreyes

Treval, change your behavior or leave. Every post you've written is INSULTING this project:
If you need anything ASK for it with nice manners, but stop DEMANDING.

Also, saying that Bennu is annoying doesn't help in any way.

Treval

Yeah I know that by agreeing to the forum rules that I shouldn't be rude.
I just got very stressed.

Notice that I changed my original post into a polite version. ;P
However I can't change the topic's header.
You are welcome to change it.

Treval aka Badman

panreyes

Thank you :)

I must recognize I'm a little stressed also. It's christmas and I don't even have one holiday... xD

SplinterGU

Quote from: josebita on December 26, 2008, 02:29:36 AM
I've changed the example to show the imports needed in bennu.

Hope it helps. Also, Treval, try to be constructive and we'll all try to be helpful.

Thanks for fix wiki tutorial...
Really I allways sugest that we must use "import" statment or include .imp file (code) with samples.

josebita

Quote from: SplinterGU on December 26, 2008, 02:33:06 PM
Thanks for fix wiki tutorial...
Really I allways sugest that we must use "import" statment or include .imp file (code) with samples.
That wasn't very clear in this particular wiki page, maybe we should make that clear in the wiki page (modifying the template so it affects other tutorials too?) and remove the import statements.....

SplinterGU

maybe a "see also..."

I would don't remove the import statements...

Sandman

Quote from: josebita on December 26, 2008, 02:49:02 PM
That wasn't very clear in this particular wiki page, maybe we should make that clear in the wiki page (modifying the template so it affects other tutorials too?) and remove the import statements.....
What template do you mean? I don't understand your suggestion.
-- Sandman

josebita

I'm not an experienced mediawiki user but I understand that one can define templates (as described in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:Template ).
I thought that the tutorials were all made with one similar template, but it doesn't seem so, sorry for the confusion.

Sandman

I do make extensive use of templates though; it might be a bit confusing for someone not into it. I hope I'm not scaring people by using such things (and the DPL extension), because people can just add pages whenever they like. I would hope they would do this more often... a lot of functions and variables are still not documented.
-- Sandman