Another contest, perhaps?

Started by Fourty-one, September 20, 2010, 10:44:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fourty-one

Well, I started thinking "What if GPH let us[the Bennu Community] hold another competition for Caanoo or other GPH product?", and thought it was a great idea. But I'm stupid and don't know much about anything for competition sponsorships or even if asking about this is a good idea in the first place. I want to see if anyone else had similar thoughts about the idea, though I don't know who would violently disagree. If I'm speaking out of place, please feel free to say so, and lock the topic. If this is already been( or is being) discussed in the Spanish forum, I wouldn't know. I don't understand a lick o' Spanish.

So, my question is: Good idea, or horrendous idea? Comments and thoughts appreciated.
Stupidity. Its contagious.
You might want to get away from me before it spreads.

FreeYourMind

It's a good idea, but it's very soon to start another contest, the last one of gp32spain, had a big $$$$ and not a big lot of entries...

Fourty-one

Yeah, that's sorta what I thought. I didn't mean in the next few months, but I wasn't clear. If the next contest was held in 7 to 8 months to even upwards of a year-and-a-half(or more), I'd be okay with that. My schedule doesn't allow for a lot of free time to program for now anyway. I just needed to see if I was crazy or too greedy when asking about this.

On a different note, not a lot of entries were in the gp32spain competition? Better go look up that on those forums.

Drumpi

Not a lot? there are lots of games and 4 emulators on it, it was a sucessfull contest. Homebrew contest rarely gets more than 15 entries, but we get almost 20 (some with very good look).

About the contest, it's too very soon. There was one on january with help of GPH, and there was another a month ago (one from here, another from GP32Spain), so, the next maybe will start in 3 months or so.
But perhaps, Pixel will invoke a new crap-compo in next weeks or months :P
Hala, como con 1001 procesos sólo va a 9 FPS, vamos a meterle 32 veces más, a ver si revienta.
(Drumpi epic moment)

FreeYourMind

The people prefer to participate in conquests without a lot of money  :D

panreyes

Invoke crap compo? try saying it three times xD

Drumpi

Nooooooo!!! Another contest nooo, too sooooooooon!!! ;D
Hala, como con 1001 procesos sólo va a 9 FPS, vamos a meterle 32 veces más, a ver si revienta.
(Drumpi epic moment)

Fourty-one

Speaking of competitons, I was just going through Bennu Pack 2.0, and apparently someone thought my code was good enough that they could just change a little bit of graphics and sounds (as far as I saw) and entered it in the gp32spain competition. How do I know? Its line for line almost the exact same, including the bug where hitting start immediately pauses the game. Plus, for a Spanish competition, everything was written in english, minus obvious things like comments and words displayed on screen(Basically, variables and possibly file names were left in their original state). I'm not up in arms and trying to burn the guy at the stake, but the least he could do was credit me a little. Besides, he never could have won anything with my game. I spent a week and a half making th game to learn Bennu and then submit it,  and there's not a whole lot of effort put in, as opposed to something like puszion(which I just spent the past hour playing. Its addictive! I had to force myself to stop!). But, I do feel kinda akward about seeing my code being used elsewhere. Not sure quite what I really wanted to get out of this post, but I'm posting it anyway.

If you're wondering about which game I'm talking about, its my game, Bennu Shooter(I think. If not, then its labeled simple shooter), and it should be in the main directory, being compared to WizShooter, which is under the 2nd gp32spain comp folder in the BennuPack advanced examples.

PS: If I'm being stupid, and the person used this for something else or is just very close to my code, my apologies. But I don't know the full story and I can't read Spanish, so I can't make an intelligent confirmation. However, a lot of it is English(and basically unchanged), leading me to the conclusion that someone copied my code completely. If someone can prove the above post wrong, please do so.

FreeYourMind

I see that :)
The WizShooter from gp32 second competition it's the Bennu Shooter from Bennu's first competition :)
So, the Bennu Shooter from Bennu competition is yours ?
I was judge from Bennu's competition and evaluate your game, i have been selected to judge of gp32 second competition too :). but at last time i can't be part of the judges for personal reasons.

You can send an email os pm to Anarchy of gp32spain and explain to him the situation, the person who present the game at the contest must be discualified...

tmoney

Quote from: Fourty-one on September 24, 2010, 09:15:41 PM
Speaking of competitons, I was just going through Bennu Pack 2.0, and apparently someone thought my code was good enough that they could just change a little bit of graphics and sounds (as far as I saw) and entered it in the gp32spain competition. How do I know? Its line for line almost the exact same, including the bug where hitting start immediately pauses the game. Plus, for a Spanish competition, everything was written in english, minus obvious things like comments and words displayed on screen(Basically, variables and possibly file names were left in their original state). I'm not up in arms and trying to burn the guy at the stake, but the least he could do was credit me a little. Besides, he never could have won anything with my game. I spent a week and a half making th game to learn Bennu and then submit it,  and there's not a whole lot of effort put in, as opposed to something like puszion(which I just spent the past hour playing. Its addictive! I had to force myself to stop!). But, I do feel kinda akward about seeing my code being used elsewhere. Not sure quite what I really wanted to get out of this post, but I'm posting it anyway.

If you're wondering about which game I'm talking about, its my game, Bennu Shooter(I think. If not, then its labeled simple shooter), and it should be in the main directory, being compared to WizShooter, which is under the 2nd gp32spain comp folder in the BennuPack advanced examples.

PS: If I'm being stupid, and the person used this for something else or is just very close to my code, my apologies. But I don't know the full story and I can't read Spanish, so I can't make an intelligent confirmation. However, a lot of it is English(and basically unchanged), leading me to the conclusion that someone copied my code completely. If someone can prove the above post wrong, please do so.

very strange. so you're saying you created the game for the Bennu wiz/pc contest, and then someone just took your code and entered it in the spanish contest as their own?  that's lame.

FreeYourMind

One question Fourty-one.
A previous demo of your game come with an alpha port of Bennu to Dingoo, before Bennu Contest, i'm right ?

PD: I send a MP to Anarchy reporting the situation  ;)

Fourty-one

I haven't done anything for Dingoo. For the original game code, I got the idea from the tutorial made by Squarepush (side scrolling shoot'em up. It should be on the bennu wiki.), and I did it only for the contest. Why? Does my code look like some elses? And thanks for reporting the situation!

Quotevery strange. so you're saying you created the game for the Bennu wiz/pc contest, and then someone just took your code and entered it in the spanish contest as their own?  that's lame.

Yep. I looked through it again, and its all code I remember making. There is no mention of credit to me(or Squarepush) and I think what some of his comments were at the top of the program said to forgive him for bugs in the code, its his first game; email him and explain errors if anyone finds any. Then he lists his email, and the code begins.

FreeYourMind

I'm talking about the demo/example in the dingoo alpha port, i got an idea/impresion this demo is very similar to your game (in fact i take a fast look and i don't remember exactly the details :)). I'm fixing my windows pc, when ii done, i try to find the port and attach the file to you, to take a look (the bennu english forum with the port don't work).

Fourty-one

Alright, I'll check out that code when you have it uploaded.

Anyway, I saw the gp32spain prizes. $4000 donated for cash prizes AND wizes to give away? :o  Makes me wish I was paying attention to other forums(and understand more Spanish).

SplinterGU

Quote from: Fourty-one on September 25, 2010, 05:22:26 PM
Alright, I'll check out that code when you have it uploaded.

Anyway, I saw the gp32spain prizes. $4000 donated for cash prizes AND wizes to give away? :o  Makes me wish I was paying attention to other forums(and understand more Spanish).

It's in gp32spain... In bennugd forum the people don't have money...
Download Lastest BennuGD Release: http://www.bennugd.org/node/2