dreamcast porting thread

Started by MisterN, March 11, 2011, 04:29:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MisterN

what all needs to be done to port to a system? would it be wise to take the dreamcast fenix and see how it was done for that? even if someone ports, i dont think theyd need an actual console themselves. they can use the latest nulldc. and i can test the hardware when they need it. but if it gets done it should have:
*ability to play fmv's (crashes on dreamcast)
*vmu support (making an image, or sequences of images display on a vmu, maybe even games playable on the vmu)
*png support (crashes on dreamcast)
*music support for different formats (most formats crash on the dreamcast, that could just be how it was ported though)
*all 4 player support with all buttons working (at least 1)
*extra: rumble support
*extra: mic and camera support (hey, theyre crappy, but at least their there, doesnt really need to be there though)
*extra: network support through the dial-up (common) and bba (very rare)
werg

josebita

Porting should be easy. If you need a monolithic build (one that cannot use .dll's) you can use my wii port as a basis.

Without access to the hardware, however, it wouldn't be fun to do. If you're going to try to do it yourself we can try to help if you need it.

MisterN

im fine if it doesnt run custom .dll's. im sure the dreamcast might need some stuff to play it. but im sure if someone was helping me, they can tell me what to do from the dreamcast version and build form there. it just has to match the requirements of the dreamcast in terms of specs, play movies, not crash on .pngs, support more media than .s3m, and use all of the buttons.
werg