iOS & Android port advance info

Started by josebita, June 09, 2011, 03:51:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

handsource-dyko

Can this be a relative path or must it be an absolute path? (E.g. C:\bennu\packager)  Because If I put it in My Documents the absolute path will still have spaces in it.
Personally I always use filenames and directory names without spaces but with underscores (old habbit from my DOS days).

josebita

handsource-dyko

Ok, I've done that, there's is no more error message, but the packager seems to take it's time.....

I had two versions installed. Now I've removed both of them and installed the latest version of the packager. I ran the included winant-install-v7.exe but now the packager says it can't find ant. In the ant installation I selected "C:\Program Files\Java for the java" directory. The java directory contains these two directories: "jdk.1.7.0_03" and "jre7". Is this good? Winant itself seems to create it's own enviornment variables:

- ANT_HOME : C:\Program Files (x86)\WinAnt
- PATH : C:\Program Files (x86)\WinAnt\bin

This is the java envoirnment variable:
- JAVA_HOME : C:\Program Files\Java

B.t.w is is possible to create an apk manually by extracting an modifying an existing bennu apk package? Maybe that could work for me if everything else fails. :(

handsource-dyko

UPDATE: it works now! :) I had to do some tweaks with the location of ant and the PATH variable. I have sucessfully created my first test APK, but the progam doesn't yet work. I currently gives a black screen on the galaxy note 10.1, enventhough it works fine in windows. It tests keyboard, mouse, joystick and touch input. I haven't tried it in the emulator yet.

I think I know why I get a black screen: There are two dcb's in the package.

handsource-dyko

I've done a few tests wit the packages I make, and I have some mixed results with them. Mostly they package fine, but sometimes the created package won't install on the device. Often the program does nothing at all while in windows it works. Sometimes the screen stays black and some programs quit instantly, even when I have a loop in it. So, I tried repackaging the test program, and that mostly works. Strangly the bouncher doesn't appear in my modified version or touch routine no longer works (no dots are drawn), eventhough I haven't changed the code.

But the keyboard works fine when I attached one via usb. I added a line of code to the test program to exit when the ESC key is pressed, and that works fine. I use Android 4 ICS. It does not seem to matter if I choose landscape or Portait.

I have attached the modified program, but not the apk's due to size restrictions (just over 4096 bytes).

Edit: the bouncher was missing because I had renamed the filename in the sourcecode to lowercase, but forgot to rename the actual file. :-[

josebita

Quote from: handsource-dyko on December 11, 2012, 07:46:09 PM
I've done a few tests wit the packages I make, and I have some mixed results with them. Mostly they package fine, but sometimes the created package won't install on the device. Often the program does nothing at all while in windows it works. Sometimes the screen stays black and some programs quit instantly, even when I have a loop in it. So, I tried repackaging the test program, and that mostly works. Strangly the bouncher doesn't appear in my modified version or touch routine no longer works (no dots are drawn), eventhough I haven't changed the code.

But the keyboard works fine when I attached one via usb. I added a line of code to the test program to exit when the ESC key is pressed, and that works fine. I use Android 4 ICS. It does not seem to matter if I choose landscape or Portait.

I have attached the modified program, but not the apk's due to size restrictions (just over 4096 bytes).

Edit: the bouncher was missing because I had renamed the filename in the sourcecode to lowercase, but forgot to rename the actual file. :-[
Hi,

You should check the logcat to try to see why it's failing. From the packager menu open Android->Monitor and in the lower part of the screen you should be able to see the logcat.

Also, there's a known bug with some Adreno GPUs where the screen remains black after doing a set_mode. Sorry if you already posted but, what's your phone model?

[Edit]Oh, and remember that in Linux/Android filenames are case sensitive. mygraph.png is not the same as MyGraph.PNG

handsource-dyko

I test with tho devices: a Samsung Galaxy S2 (GT-I9100) and a Samsung Note 10.1 (GT-N8000) (mostly test it with that because of bigger screen and the better, full-fleged usb periphial support). The both run on 4.0 ICS. I will still need to test mod_joy and mod_mouse as well. I've looked at the android documentation from google today, and it seems that a lot neat things can be done from xml code. I.e. menu's and application properties. I don't know about IOS, but that seems to be interessting stuff for the future.

As far as I know both devices have a mali 400 gpu (the S2 is a GT-I9100 revision with a mali 400) There are at least 3 revisions of the S2, and they can differ in gpu as well. There is an Adreno 220 version, the (GT-I9210). But I have the one with the mali gpu.

Side note: I just saw on the spanish forum a talk from Pixel about an Android port of malvado, I have plans to do a port soon, when I have done some more android tests. I want to make sure that I can support keyboard and gamepad, because that makes porting easier. I still have version 1.8 in the works with the new demo mode, but the editor is a bit broken at the moment with the latest bennu version I'm using, and I didn't have the time lately, that's why I haven't releases it yet.

handsource-dyko

Things I have tested on the galaxy note 10.1 with the attached program:

- keyboard, mouse and joystick devices connected with a usb adapter.

Keys that work with a usb keyboard:

- esc.
- enter (also on numpad).
- space.
- tab.
- left/right ctrl.
- left/right alt.
- left/right shift.
- left/right windows.
- alt option.
- insert.
- delete.
- home.
- end.
- pgup / pgdn.
- scroll lock.
- numpad + and - .
- numpad / .
- numpad * .
- numpad peroid (.).
- numpad numbers.
- f1, f2, f3, f4, f5, f6, f7, f8, f9, f10.
- cursor keys.
- multimedia key search.
- multimedia key back.

Keys that don't work:

- backspace.
- wave.
- capslock.
- prt scr.
- scroll lock.
- pause/break.
- all alphanummerical keys.
- brackets, colon, etc.

Mouse:

- left mouse button works fine.
- middle and right are treated as left mouse button (so it's  old-school like macos).

- scroll wheel does not work.

- mouse x and y only update when left mouse button is clicked (to have constant x,y update
   you need to keep the mouse button pressed simultaneously while moving the pointer).

Joystick:

- only the digital-dpad works.

- joystick device is not reconised, but digital d-pad is treated as keyboard cursor keys.
- 0 devices, 0 buttons and 0 axis are reported.

The issue with the keyboard keys also occurs in several NES, SNES and C64 emulators I use. Could this be an SDL issue? In the browser and other textinput heavy apps everythings works as expected. For Malvado only the cursor keys, ESC, spacebar, enter and CTRL are used, so that should be fine.

I have attached the modified hello world input test program.

panreyes

Quote from: handsource-dyko on December 12, 2012, 02:36:42 PM
Side note: I just saw on the spanish forum a talk from Pixel about an Android port of malvado, I have plans to do a port soon, when I have done some more android tests. I want to make sure that I can support keyboard and gamepad, because that makes porting easier. I still have version 1.8 in the works with the new demo mode, but the editor is a bit broken at the moment with the latest bennu version I'm using, and I didn't have the time lately, that's why I haven't releases it yet.

I didn't know that you were porting Malvado already :)

Anyway, I've still to design a good virtual gamepad for Android...

josebita

Thank you very much, handsource-dyko for the testing and for the info :)

panreyes

BTW, Josebita, do you see any chances of getting the native joysticks working without mapping to keys?

Surely OUYA will be working like that.

I've tried an app, called USB/BT Joystick Center 6, and it seems that it handles more than one joystick at a time.

josebita

Quote from: PiXeL on December 12, 2012, 11:03:01 PM
BTW, Josebita, do you see any chances of getting the native joysticks working without mapping to keys?

Surely OUYA will be working like that.

I've tried an app, called USB/BT Joystick Center 6, and it seems that it handles more than one joystick at a time.
I've been looking at that, yes, although it requires patching SDL.
I'll try to write the patch and send it upstream to SDL when I get some free time.

handsource-dyko

What kind of gamepad will OUYA support? I always test malvado with the official "malvado certified joystick"  ;D a.k.a the "Suzo Arcade" connected by a USB adapter (you can find review of it on my website and youtube channel).  Anyway, I'll see if I can get malvado up and running with keyboard support. I've just added some code for the "back" button to it.

josebita

handsource-dyko

Nice controller! Looks quite like an xbox 360 and ps3 controller plus a touchpad. I wonder how it's implemented in it's device class. Some products like the Icade emulate a keyboard, but under android this is not a requirment as it supports true usb-hid joystick/gamepad class devices.