Escape From Zombie City

Started by tmoney, April 04, 2010, 03:44:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreeYourMind

Thanks, i will love again, ejeem, excuse me, i will try again xDDD

Mr Matsusaka

Maybe the problem is that the text that tells you the colors you must to press don't stand out to the player enough.

tmoney

i did a quick adjustment to make cars that block your view transparent.  i like it, but i haven't tested it on either the wiz or the caanoo yet, hopefully won't cause slowdown.  here are a couple of pics:

tmoney

hmm... i just checked it on the caanoo, and it's not quite as pretty.  because the caanoo and wiz run 8 bit color instead of 16 bit color, the results are not quite as good in some cases:

and pretty ugly in others:

Noivern

is that flags = 4 or alpha = something? i don't know if you can use alpha in 8 bit mode.

FreeYourMind

Finally i understand how to open the doors ;)
When i talk about the transparencies of the objects, it's not for the complete object (you do that, it's ok too, but i don't dislike the old way without transparencies when you are in the back of the object), it's only for the windows of the veicles.

Mr Matsusaka

Quote from: Noivern on September 26, 2010, 06:55:41 AM
is that flags = 4 or alpha = something? i don't know if you can use alpha in 8 bit mode.

You can use alpha in 8 bit mode too, but the results are similar to use flags=4.
I think the idea of separating the cars and the windows in two spearated processes could be the most elegant solution.
I have a game in 8bit color deep using the same idea and this is the result

FreeYourMind

tmoney

even though it would look nice to have transparent windows, it wouldn't help too much from a functional stand point.  most of the cars are not too obstructive to begin with, and the larger objects, like the sideways trucks and dump trucks, wouldn't benefit much from having transparent windows as very little of their area has windows.  there is also the additional burden of running more process. instead of just turning the car transparent, i could also turn it to gray scale so the the transparency looks cleaner.

so instead of this:

going to this:

it would look like this:

SplinterGU

translucent and alpha in 8 bits are limited by the palette set.
Download Lastest BennuGD Release: http://www.bennugd.org/node/2

Mr Matsusaka

If you wanna hear my opinion, I don't think you need to make semi-transparent the cars you're crossing from behind.

Noivern

or maybe you can try doing switch alpha = 0 and alpha = 255. if fps is high enough (from 30 and up)  you can emulate transparency like neo geo era (do you remember shadows of old KoFs?). Anyway, with grey scale looks good too.

thanks for the aclaration with alpha && 8 bit. I remember in div, if i wanted more levels of transparency than just flag = 4, i tried with a process with the graph,x,y,angle and size equals to the target process with flags = 4 and put over the target xD
Good memories :)

tmoney

ok, a couple of updates.  first off, i hunted down a pretty nasty bug that was causing memory leak which lead to slow down and crashing of the game.   you can download the fix from here: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=BZDT1YX2

replace the old files/folder with the new ones.

in addition to fixing the bug, it also has transparent cars.  I used Noivern's suggestion of trying alpha instead of flags, and that looks better.

not included in the fix, i've changed the way you talk to people. as suggested by freeyourmind, it's a separate button. on the wiz/caanoo it's the R button (on the PC it's default T).

when you press the button a small menu displays the people who you can talk to, which will be anyone on screen other than the character you are currently controlling:

this will make it so you don't have to run around trying to get right on top of the person you want to talk to, and also makes it so you won't accidentally start talking to someone while you're trying to open a gate or hide.

Noivern

Downloading! keep up the good job!

Noivern

Hi tmoney!
by now, 3 things:
1. In the sewer, if you get killed with the char who got the flashlight, the graph of the light (the center, brightest one) will be pasted in the background, like a frozen process or something like that.
2. How can i show the menu screen with a joy? i pressed all 10 buttons and nothing happened.
3. when i lost my last char, the game ended (closed). Is this behaviour right?