Windows 7? Deleted Virtual XP

Started by MisterN, March 19, 2011, 05:02:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MisterN

as the title says. I have windows 7 home premium x64 (64 bit) and ive been running flamebird 2 in a vmware player windows  xp. i deleted it this morning because it was crippled after awhile. And flamebird doesnt work on my pc. something about it cant be loaded onto the system memory. is there any other program that will take my fenix 0.84 for dreamcast? and work just like flamebird 2? All I did in flamebird 2 was type code and then test it in a window, i dont want to have to compile it every time. Or should I reinstall the virtual machine?
werg

Drumpi

There isn't another IDE like FlameBird. For Fenix 0.84 I think you can use FEdit (I don't know if you can find it, because Fenix 0.84 it's a bit old) and maybe you can find another IDEs compatibles.
If not, you can use any IDE for coding you want, and add a Fenix template for highlighted text.

Or you can be a REAL MAN (;D ;D ;D just joking) and code on notepad an use an script (a text plain .bat file) to compile or compile and run, it's easy to do:

FXC -g myprogram.prg

or

FXC -g myprogram.prg
FXI myprogram.dcb

Copying this bat and Fenix files on your project dir. The -g option is for debug purposses (you can open the debug console pressing alt+c or exit with alt+x).
Hala, como con 1001 procesos sólo va a 9 FPS, vamos a meterle 32 veces más, a ver si revienta.
(Drumpi epic moment)

handsource-dyko

I haven't used Flamebird in years. When I coded fenix stuff on linux I used gedit combined with some selfmade scripts.
Now on windows, I do pretty much the same, but use Notepad++ with bennu syntax highlighting. I don't see that much
advantage in Flamebird anymore, I prefer making my own build scripts because it gives me more flexibility. And, getting compiler
output can also be redirected to a textfile if you use pipes.

To get error messages and compiler output into a textfile you can do this:

fxc -g myprogram.prg > output.txt
notepad output.txt
fxi myprogram.dcb

put these in a batchfile with a name like make.bat or some other short name, now anytime you build the program notepad
will open up with the text that is normally outputted on the dos prompt.

MisterN

on notepad++ do i have an easy way of testing the program (with and without compilation) and a "program inspector" where parts of code like ProcessPlayer has its own section, ProcessEnemy has its own section, etc.?
werg

handsource-dyko

Nope. But I don't really mis those features. I'd suggest splitting up large programs into seperate files. I even do this for smaller programs, however you can have may tabs open and it's even possible to view 2 tabs side by side, wich is handy for comparing code and copy/pastes from one file to another. Also, it has syntax highlighters for a ton of languages. I do use bennu's built-in debugger a lot, wich becomes even more powerfull when you use the say function to print stuff during runtime on the console. If you look at the sources of my malvado bennu remake you can see this philosophy in practice. (the use of compilation scripts and the say function).

MisterN

how would i set up for fenix? and how would i test it? i just installed notepad++
werg

Drumpi

I don't know if you can, but as i said, you can copy Fenix files to project directory and use the same script to compile (handsource-dyko and me tells you how to do it).
If you don't like, you must look on notepad++ documentation or options, i think.
Hala, como con 1001 procesos sólo va a 9 FPS, vamos a meterle 32 veces más, a ver si revienta.
(Drumpi epic moment)

MisterN

dont know how to set it up in notepad++ :(
werg

MisterN

the wiki said i need two files (loacted in hotkeys) http://wiki.bennugd.org/index.php?title=Tutorial:Setting_up_Bennu_with_Notepad%2B%2B which no longer exist and i cannot find them on the net.
werg

handsource-dyko

I always make a directory for my project, and put all the binary files from bennu into it.
So, I don't install bennu in a central directory. I always use a copy in the directory of the project.
This way, I can use different versions of bennu for different projects, or test new versions easily by
copying the current runtime version to some temp directory.

The syntax highlighting is a bit more tricky, what I did was to install the version of notepad++ that comes
with bennupack, and installed the standard version as well. I copied some xml files from the bennupack version
to the standard notepad++ version. You can customize the syntax highlighting definitions by editing some
of those xml files. This is a bit fiddely. You can also set the highlighter to c++, this will cover most of the
language constructs for fenix/bennu.