Changing the colorpalette of an 8bit fpg with smart fpg editor 0.40

Started by handsource-dyko, July 22, 2011, 07:36:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

handsource-dyko

Today I was messing about a bit with smartfpg editor 0.40, and discovered this handy trick, in changing the colorpalette of an fpg.

To make changes to the color palette of an fpg, create a new 8bit fpg.
Select a different color palette, then copy all the maps of the source fpg into the new one.

The maps will adapt to the new palette. This is usefull if you want to use similair but slightly different palettes in your game
and need to check how it looks, or If you simply want to change one or a few particalair  colors in the palette.

You can use smartfpg editor's (version 0.40) handy copy-paste feature for this.

See the attached images for the effects of this trick. Paltest1.png shows the various test fpg's on the right and the source fpg on the
left, paltest 2-4 show the diffrent palettes I used. The fpg in the bottom-right corner is the "merge" fpg, wich uses the palette of the source,
but the graphics where pasted from the test fpg's.

izubiaurre

Smart FPG Editor is a great fpg editor and one of reason's of coming back to here!

Thank you for your tip handsource-dyko.

handsource-dyko

Yes, but I don't have a girlfriend. She's from dutch tv and I think she's got a pretty face. ;)

izubiaurre

handsource-dyko

Daß Weiß ich genau, aber ich findet daß schon praktisch, mein schreibtisch ist genau wie mein desktop! ;D
(I like to have easy acess to all my stuff and programs, although it may seem chaotic, I have a order in it).

handsource-dyko

I've converted the sprites of malvado to 16 bit mode, because that gave me some problems with black colors (colors with rgb values like 0,1,0 or 0,0,3 etc). Colors with rgb values close to 0,0,0 are converted to transparant, so to get around this problem I created a tweaked palette in DIV first. I simply changed the shade of the problematic colors slighlty (you can't visually see any difference). Them I creaded a new 8bit fpg with the altered palette, and copy-pasted everything from the orginal in it.

Them I created a new 16bit fpg and  copy-pasted everything from the tweaked fpg into that.
The reslult: No more transparant bee's and spiders! :)

To Visually demonstrate it, I included an pdf file with the value's of both palettes and some graphics do demonstrate.

So, I think smart fpg editor 0.40 is really great, although it would be handy if it could display the filename of the loaded fpg in the tilebar, and have an palette tweak option for existing fpg's.

darío

Hi,

Yes, better support for 8bpp FPG is yet to be added.

Thanks for the suggestions I'll consider them for the next versions :)
My sites:
Smart Fpg Editor - Painless FPG Edition for Bennu and PixTudio
fenixlib - .NET support for manipulating PixTudio, Bennu and Div graphic formats

handsource-dyko

O, yes, perhaps some keyboard shortcuts, and rubberband selection would be nice too.
Anyway, I'd like to see some palette import/export options, in DIV you could also modify
the colors of the current palette. I think smartfpg editor is pretty much the best fpg tool,
even better then DIV in a number of ways, since I use both of them a lot. The copy-paste
feature makes this tool so handy!

darío

My sites:
fenixlib - .NET support for manipulating PixTudio, Bennu and Div graphic formats

darío

Quote from: handsource-dyko on July 24, 2011, 05:09:30 PM
O, yes, perhaps some keyboard shortcuts, and rubberband selection would be nice too.
Anyway, I'd like to see some palette import/export options, in DIV you could also modify
the colors of the current palette. I think smartfpg editor is pretty much the best fpg tool,
even better then DIV in a number of ways, since I use both of them a lot. The copy-paste
feature makes this tool so handy!

Palette export will be available in next version (0.4.5) as well as some other minor (but useful) adds and improvements (such as the ones users have been suggesting). The palette editor is planned for version 0.5.0. The rubberband selection would be nice, but for the moment it will have to wait to later versions.

Thanks again for your comments!
My sites:

handsource-dyko