iPad 2 / iOS 5 troubles

Started by xDan, October 20, 2011, 07:58:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xDan

hello,

I've been having a great time with the iOS port, but have just hit a problem: my app keeps getting rejected due to a weird graphical bug on iPad 2 with iOS 5.

In the screenshot they give me nothing displays except a few texts, no background or other graphics...

I previously had a very simple test app accepted fine ( http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/run-rabbit-run!/id460032617?mt=8 ), but that was before the new iOS 5.

It works fine in the iOS 5 / iPad 2 emulator, but unfortunately I don't have an actual iPad 2 device to test with..

Any ideas would be much appreciated...  :(

I'm not using the very latest monolithic, but one from a couple of weeks ago. Maybe this is a known problem and I should upgrade to the latest?

problem (Apple's screenshot):

how it should look:

josebita

Sorry to know. I've seen some trouble with the iPad 2 in iOS 5, yes. Try ensuring that your app is set up for iPhone (not iPad nor both) in Xcode and see if that helps...

[Edit] If your app has been created to work with the iPhone resolution, that is...

xDan

it's actually for iPad-only at the moment :(

(@768x1024)

josebita

I really have no idea, sorry.
I don't know anybody with an iPad 2 to lend me, either.

[Edit] Try with the newer build, but I don't see how it can help...
Maybe the latest code works better, but it's not yet ready for prime-time...

xDan

hmm, I can mimic this exact effect on Linux etc.. by simply commenting out loading of all my graphics (png files).

So perhaps they could be failing to load somehow? :-/ any thoughts?

Or perhaps some colour depth conversion is failing or something? (I use 16 bit in my app, as that is all that ever seemed to work, but on disk the pngs are 32 bit). Maybe I should pre-convert all pngs to 16 bit? Don't really see why that should be a problem though...

I guess fonts still work either because they are fnt format not png or because they are different colour depth...!?

josebita

Quote from: xDan on October 21, 2011, 01:34:04 PM
hmm, I can mimic this exact effect on Linux etc.. by simply commenting out loading of all my graphics (png files).

So perhaps they could be failing to load somehow? :-/ any thoughts?

Or perhaps some colour depth conversion is failing or something? (I use 16 bit in my app, as that is all that ever seemed to work, but on disk the pngs are 32 bit). Maybe I should pre-convert all pngs to 16 bit? Don't really see why that should be a problem though...

I guess fonts still work either because they are fnt format not png or because they are different colour depth...!?
Not sure, but try converting all the images to 16bpp (nor sure if it will, but it might help) it will surely make your game smaller in download size, which is always a nice thing in this new gadgets.
Also, I believe that using say outputs commands to the xcode log, try checking if graph loading has succeeded and display an error if it hasn't.

If you feel like it, maybe you can send me a PM with a link to the code so that I can help you with this...

xDan

ok, I put all pngs into a 16 bit fpg this time, and have resubmitted it. Will see what happens :)

if this fails maybe I'll send over the code...

thanks for your help. If I ever get rich on this (haha) I'll buy us both an iPad 2!

josebita

Quote from: xDan on October 21, 2011, 04:55:32 PM
ok, I put all pngs into a 16 bit fpg this time, and have resubmitted it. Will see what happens :)

if this fails maybe I'll send over the code...

thanks for your help. If I ever get rich on this (haha) I'll buy us both an iPad 2!
Wel, good luck with your game, them ;)

xDan

Woop, this version was accepted =)

So in 16 bit mode, pngs did not work, but 16 bit maps within a 16 bit fpg *did* work.

(maybe it's related to the png format not actually supporting Bennu's 16 bit colour representation at all? so a conversion *has* to be done when loading... and that fails somehow..)

I'll post some promo codes at some point :)

as a random aside question, is 32 bit graphics working in the latest Bennu Mononlithic iOS ? I would obviously prefer to use that than 16 bit at all (to give smooth alpha transitions from colour to transparent).. But last time I tried it it just made everything turn a shade of blue if I remember correctly :S

josebita

Glad to know :)
Can you link to the game?

As for the current status of the iOS port... I'ts not usable as it has issues with colors. Will have to fix them but it's not yet fully usable.

xDan

Ok I see, well 16 bit can do for now :)

Here's the app link:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/explodorum-hd/id472301537?ls=1&mt=8

I'll PM you a promo code. The game's nothing amazing though, just my first real attempt at a finished iOS game. Plus, it hasn't actually even been tested in the physical device, only in the emulator, so for all I know it could play badly there  :-\

josebita

Thanks for the promo code; I've set up a fundraising to buy an iPad2, in case someone feels like taking part:
http://bennugd-mobile.blogspot.com/2011/10/ipad-fundraising.html

xDan

Great idea :)

I donate a little, maybe I'll donate some more when I have some money...

josebita

In case someone prefers to donate in dollars, I've added an option to do so from the post:
http://bennugd-mobile.blogspot.com/2011/10/ipad-fundraising.html

josebita

I've added some spice to the fundraising: if you donate an amount over the one published in the worklog at the time of your donation, you'll get access to the next iOS binary two weeks before public release.

New features included in the next release (apart from new upstream features) include support for mod_multi and mod_fmodex, but you better check out the post for details :)

Thanks in advance.