I want to switch over to linux

Started by cmunoz, December 12, 2011, 08:32:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cmunoz

I want to get serious about computing and use what's best for me, not just what Steve and Bill are trying to mass produce.
I installed Ubuntu, having heard of its ubiquity, but felt stuck by it's "user friendliness" and wanted to experience something without as much fancy panel in front of the gears.
I've become aware that there are a boatload of different interfaces available for the linux operating system, and want some advice or input on what would be a good place to start.
Thanks all!

MisterN

me too, does bennu work on arm processors?
werg

josebita

Quote from: cmunoz on December 12, 2011, 08:32:55 AM
I installed Ubuntu, having heard of its ubiquity, but felt stuck by it's "user friendliness" and wanted to experience something without as much fancy panel in front of the gears.
I've become aware that there are a boatload of different interfaces available for the linux operating system, and want some advice or input on what would be a good place to start.
I'd suggest you start by opening up a console and starting having a look from there. There are many things to try, so if you put some details regarding where you want to start from, maybe we can help.
Quote from: DoctorN on December 18, 2011, 08:52:26 PM
me too, does bennu work on arm processors?
Beautifully indeed.

BlackCurtain

Quote from: cmunoz on December 12, 2011, 08:32:55 AM
I've become aware that there are a boatload of different interfaces available for the linux operating system
There's basically 2 major branches which most distributions comes shipped with: KDE and Gnome, which you can customize in many ways.
Personally, I've never fancied Ubuntu, I've mostly stuck with Open SuSE.

josebita

BlackCurtain

Quote from: josebita on December 26, 2011, 03:56:03 PM
Maybe you mean KDE and GNOME? :)
Yea sorry, I was thinking of one thing while I typed something completely different :P

handsource-dyko

I still use gnome 2x on ubuntu. It's not the most recent version though. I used to be a suse user, but around 2007 I switched to ubuntu.

cmunoz

Thank you all for the advice.
After a bit of research I decided to go with openSUSE and the XFCE desktop.
I've been using it for a little over a week now, and while there is obviously much to learn, I've been "having a lot of fun!"
Thanks again everyone!

SplinterGU

Quote from: cmunoz on January 11, 2012, 05:16:25 PM
Thank you all for the advice.
After a bit of research I decided to go with openSUSE and the XFCE desktop.
I've been using it for a little over a week now, and while there is obviously much to learn, I've been "having a lot of fun!"
Thanks again everyone!

good choose, I'm very happy in opensuse 12.1 from 2 weeks ago... but I'm in kde.
Download Lastest BennuGD Release: http://www.bennugd.org/node/2