[BennuCube] First Game, need opinions

Started by aliasbody, July 11, 2014, 11:48:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aliasbody

Hello Everyone,

I have some ideas for a game, I've already wrote the history and so on. But I needed to try BennuGD and see if it would fit my needs, and how well it would fit it.

So in order to understand how everything worked, I've created a simple game. The code is not perfect, the sprites are squares, and there is only one level which closes the game when you finish it (by touching the blue square).

I would just love to have others opinions on what should be changed, and some ideas for (for example) interation with gravity, better memory management and so on in order for my goal project to be as perfect as I can imagine.

PS : The project I am talking is something among the lines of a Heart Of Darkness, Another World or even an Abe's Odyssey. I've already the story, I'm preparing a script for the animations and then I'll get start with the game (with the final goal to provide it into as many devices as possible, including Dreamcast, the GamePark Holdings consoles and even the GCW-Zero).

This is just for me to learn, nothing more. So it is normal to have some bugs and bad graphics. but as suggestions come I'll make it look better and better :D.

Thank you in advance for any suggestion or critic.

Update 1 (13/07/2014) :
This is the v0.2 of the game. In this versions there is 10 levels, and I have corrected some jumps bugs. Still no gravity but I am planning to rewrite the jump code in order to solve this.

Update 2 (17/07/2014) :
In this version, and thanks to the suggestions and help from handsource-dyko and SplinterGU, i removed the bitmaps which where used as maps (consuming a lot of memory), and I create the exact same map based on a 2D Array which would load the tile on the FPG file by its ID (provided in the Array itself).

In my Gnu/linux box, the memory usage went down from 10.8Mb to 3.8Mb ! All the maps were created using Tiled and then converted into CSV in order to have the content of the array already designed :)

cmunoz

Great start on this platformer!
The hit test and floor contact worked well and I didn't spot any bugs.
My first bit of advice would be to change the color of the player. Since he's red like the bad guys I didn't even notice him at first, and was trying to figure out why the blue guy wasn't moving.
As for the level, it's a little on the difficult side, so save it for later in the game once players have a feel for the physics, etc. This was a little frustrating for me, and I thought another option would be to have a health meter that decrements with each hit so the player wouldn't automatically die on the first object he made contact with. Of course some objects/enemies could take more or less damage than others, so you could have lava for example that instantly kills you.
The jumping seems a bit triangle wave for my taste, gravity accelerates objects exponentially the longer they fall (and decelerates them as they rise) so the player should slow into the top of the jump and speed up on the way down. Check out "mod_chipmunk" for some physics stuff or you could keep track of how long your player has been in the air and adjust the vertical speed accordingly.
Keep us posted!

aliasbody

Quote from: cmunoz on July 12, 2014, 02:04:13 AM
Great start on this platformer!
The hit test and floor contact worked well and I didn't spot any bugs.
My first bit of advice would be to change the color of the player. Since he's red like the bad guys I didn't even notice him at first, and was trying to figure out why the blue guy wasn't moving.
As for the level, it's a little on the difficult side, so save it for later in the game once players have a feel for the physics, etc. This was a little frustrating for me, and I thought another option would be to have a health meter that decrements with each hit so the player wouldn't automatically die on the first object he made contact with. Of course some objects/enemies could take more or less damage than others, so you could have lava for example that instantly kills you.
The jumping seems a bit triangle wave for my taste, gravity accelerates objects exponentially the longer they fall (and decelerates them as they rise) so the player should slow into the top of the jump and speed up on the way down. Check out "mod_chipmunk" for some physics stuff or you could keep track of how long your player has been in the air and adjust the vertical speed accordingly.
Keep us posted!

Thank you for the suggestions :D I'll make some changes and I'll update it tomorow !

aliasbody

I've updated the code :) Now there is 10 levels !

aliasbody

I've updated the code :) Now I am using the TileMap method instead of just loading the pictures of the map !

cmunoz

Ah, very cool. I didn't realize until I played some of the new levels that there's sort of a jet pack multi jump thing going on. Level 9 was very hard, I kept hitting the red square at the very bottom!
I noticed that in that level I found it hard to read how many times I had died, since the white letters had white walls behind them. Maybe having a black rectangle behind the text would make it easier to read?
It'd be great if there was a custom map editor....

aliasbody

Quote from: cmunoz on August 09, 2014, 06:58:27 PM
Ah, very cool. I didn't realize until I played some of the new levels that there's sort of a jet pack multi jump thing going on. Level 9 was very hard, I kept hitting the red square at the very bottom!
I noticed that in that level I found it hard to read how many times I had died, since the white letters had white walls behind them. Maybe having a black rectangle behind the text would make it easier to read?
It'd be great if there was a custom map editor....

Thank you :)

I will try to solve those things quickly, I am still trying to make it work on Android but honestly I can't manage to do it :S

As for the map editor, I use Tiled and then export as CSV. I will submit the tileset to be used with it. But it only works with non-moving objects, for example, the player and the moving enemies must be added by code. I'll try to also solve this !

aliasbody

Quote from: l1nk3rn3l on August 11, 2014, 07:57:20 PM
Great game

Thank you :) I am quite happy to be able to release a game like this as a first try to the BennuGD language.