Hello from DIV HQ!

Started by MikeDX, February 12, 2016, 01:50:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreeYourMind

By the way, after 15 years I see theuser Sk0n updates the Sonic DIV !!!!!

All this years I try to contact this person (because his email of readme.txt in div sonic version is offline all this years).
In the past at my beginning I will ask him about the src to learn, and all this years I remember my desilusion to cannot contact him, and now by magic his game is updated in DIV3!.

This version port is made by Sk0n or simply you have the src all this years and you made the new port ?

panreyes

Honestly, DIV should have been Unity but 15 years ago...

Still, it can compete a lot in 2D games. I'm still promoting its syntax in gamejams, and people are quite interested :)

JaViS

Quote from: MikeDX on February 12, 2016, 06:32:50 PM
Quote from: JaViS on February 12, 2016, 06:08:12 PM
Sounds awesome.

Do you have any idea of the licenses you wanna make available and how much they will cost?

I have a few ideas. One is a simple subscription model on div-arena like €2 per month, but you can gain credits by making and uploading games and helping others out, so you get back from the community if you are an active user

Still all in idea phases at the moment, but realistically div will be very cheap to create multiplatform games to sell on app stores :)

Having a free version to hook newcomers, and a premium with more features is becoming very popular among game engines nowadays 
Working on Anarkade. A couch multiplayer 2D shooter.

MikeDX

Quote from: FreeYourMind on February 12, 2016, 07:10:18 PM
By the way, after 15 years I see theuser Sk0n updates the Sonic DIV !!!!!
This version port is made by Sk0n or simply you have the src all this years and you made the new port ?

Since this is genuine div port, this runs the original div games. The old EXEs can be read by div (old div32run.dll) and run in any way. I didnt need the prg to create the ports - div just knows how to understand the old watcom compiled EXE files and PAK files (for div2)

Quote from: PiXeL on February 12, 2016, 07:11:30 PM
Honestly, DIV should have been Unity but 15 years ago...

Agree, but who knows what will happen in the next 15 ;)

Quote from: PiXeL
Still, it can compete a lot in 2D games. I'm still promoting its syntax in gamejams, and people are quite interested :)

Div is a powerhouse in 2D, especially in 8 bit mode - and 32bits in not much slower. The games actually already run in 32bit mode but they are rendered to an 8bit surface and then blitted to 32bit.

3D engine soon - I've been looking for one to use but may end up writing something myself - something slightly better than mode8 ;)

Quote from: JaViS on February 12, 2016, 07:21:19 PM
Having a free version to hook newcomers, and a premium with more features is becoming very popular among game engines nowadays 

Yes, the first users of DIVDX will be free to use and I am already assembling a beta TEAM! Would any of you be interested?

Also - whoever is downlloading the entire js.mikedx.co.uk site -

Why? and if you want everything, I could have just given you an archive :D

A few games are on github with prg - http://github.com/MikeDX

Quote from: FreeYourMind on February 12, 2016, 06:57:23 PM
Amazing! All our whises comes true, the only problem is came to late , 15 years late  ;D
But we are happy to dream again, and come back in time and emotions :)

This morning I don't see, but it's beautifull see the IDE updated to our days and amzaing the ports to different platforms you have.
Thanks! I am pleased with the progress so far!

I ask for a little thing, can you separate the downloads from HTML Game pages ? Because my browser it's to slow and running game at same time to download is very hard to do.

When DIV-ARENA is back up to speed, the files will be easily accesible.

I believe you will not be capable to get a sense with the other commercial div like, I think with time you will ignore it, because it's very difficult to agree with this person ideas....

Yes this seems to be the opinion but we shall see.

I will consider the new DIV version in my tools in the future.

I look forward to it!

FreeYourMind

I love to integrate beta team :)

MikeDX

I've just uploaded Geca Adventure and Geca X3 to my javascript site. Geca adventure is failing on the native ports because of the geca.dll but works in javascript. I could probably get geca adventure to work with some debugging though :)

http://js.mikedx.co.uk/geca-gecax3.html

http://js.mikedx.co.uk/geca-gecaadv.html

FreeYourMind

jajajajajjaajaja, I am very very embarrased with this games  ;D ;D
They are modifications of other games when I start to learn DIV.

It's nice the posibility to interpret the old EXE's without recompile again!

MikeDX

You should think of the old EXE as "roms" for the DIV emulator :)

And nobody should be embarassed of any games they make using the div games as a start - that's what they are there for! :)

FreeYourMind

Amazing! By the Way,GecaX3 fails before logo, cannot start game.

geca.dll is the official DIV example screensaver dll, I just rename it ;)

The files are downloaded to a Temporary PC folder when run game on browser ? Where is this folder ?

Tomorrow I will test the games on my Pandora and GCW Zero, the button mapper equivalent are defined on DIV3 emulator for old DIV Games ?

How we map the buttons ? Because we can use any key of keyboard on old div games and we need to map this keys to console joy buttons.

I see for some games you have a PSP beta port.

MikeDX

Quote from: FreeYourMind on February 13, 2016, 01:04:57 AM
Amazing! By the Way,GecaX3 fails before logo, cannot start game.

geca.dll is the official DIV example screensaver dll, I just rename it ;)

I thought so, it was SS1.dll :)

It should work online though. The windows and linux builds fail (and probably GCW0) because it will not find the dll

The files are downloaded to a Temporary PC folder when run game on browser ? Where is this folder ?

The files are packed like .PAK in div2, they cannot easily be opened.

Tomorrow I will test the games on my Pandora and GCW Zero, the button mapper equivalent are defined on DIV3 emulator for old DIV Games ?

How we map the buttons ? Because we can use any key of keyboard on old div games and we need to map this keys to console joy buttons.

Yes the buttons can be remapped but there is no easy way at the moment so I have just mapped common buttons and if a game needs it, I recompile with mapped buttons in the div code.

I see for some games you have a PSP beta port.

Yes, but I have paused development since I have no psp to try it on (only emulator)

Drumpi

Awesome news!!!
I hope this project can go ahead at full speed.

... but past events make me take this with caution. Sorry, but I have bad memories with past DIV3 tries, forks and so on ^^U
I really hope this works this time, really, because my first "game" is still "unfinished" (is fully playable, but I can't remember if I fix the region(0,x,y,0,0) issue and the not-random items) and needs a few weeks to be complete. I tried with "other full compatible language" but I quit because bad feelings :P

I think it's still playable if you want to try, from http://perso.wanadoo.es/e/drumpi1_0/Juegos/Juegos.htm, the name is Sector Gamma (yes, I used Hacha, the old times... XD). Yes, my first game was a pseudo 3D space game with "manual physics" and a double mode 7 :D :D :D

So, go ahead, and be strong!. I'll love to see a real DIV3 working. With mode8, Quake engine or classic Tomb Raider editor.

By the way: DIV means Dibujo IV (4). It means that DIV3 is really Dibujo 43? :D :D :D
Hala, como con 1001 procesos sólo va a 9 FPS, vamos a meterle 32 veces más, a ver si revienta.
(Drumpi epic moment)

MikeDX

Quote from: Drumpi on February 14, 2016, 02:03:58 AM
Awesome news!!!

... but past events make me take this with caution. Sorry, but I have bad memories with past DIV3 tries, forks and so on ^^U

I don't think there has ever been another true fork of DIV except the original attempt years ago by me to port to windows unsuccesfully. This time we have the real unhacked source to start with :)

I really hope this works this time, really, because my first "game" is still "unfinished" (is fully playable, but I can't remember if I fix the region(0,x,y,0,0) issue and the not-random items) and needs a few weeks to be complete. I tried with "other full compatible language" but I quit because bad feelings :P

I think it's still playable if you want to try, from http://perso.wanadoo.es/e/drumpi1_0/Juegos/Juegos.htm, the name is Sector Gamma (yes, I used Hacha, the old times... XD). Yes, my first game was a pseudo 3D space game with "manual physics" and a double mode 7 :D :D :D

I have ported this to javascript for you:

http://js.mikedx.co.uk/gammasector.html

So, go ahead, and be strong!. I'll love to see a real DIV3 working. With mode8, Quake engine or classic Tomb Raider editor.

By the way: DIV means Dibujo IV (4). It means that DIV3 is really Dibujo 43? :D :D :D

This is D10 - hence DX (10 years) although really it should be DXX for 20 years of DIV :)

Drumpi

Quote from: MikeDX on February 14, 2016, 02:22:29 AM
Awesome news!!!

I don't think there has ever been another true fork of DIV except the original attempt years ago by me to port to windows unsuccesfully. This time we have the real unhacked source to start with :)

I always thinked there is... was a fork with the DIV sourcecode.
Yes, I sadly remember your past attempt, but I was not sure if he was you or not ^^U But I was talking about other project, with the same bugs as DIV2.
But that was the (painful) past, so it's better to not talk about that again (sorry for bring the subject).

I have ported this to javascript for you:

http://js.mikedx.co.uk/gammasector.html

WOW!! Thanks a LOT!!!
It brings me memories... I did that with my second code? (the first was the space invaders tutorial :D) It's almost exactly the original, I miss the music, and later additions like the instructions, but it's a 1:1 execution of the game :)
It was... 2003?

This is D10 - hence DX (10 years) although really it should be DXX for 20 years of DIV :)

It's almost D10+10, like D10X... DIOX...... GOD? :D :D :D

GOD == Gemix Of Destruction?

I need to rest. Enough emotions for a night :P
Hala, como con 1001 procesos sólo va a 9 FPS, vamos a meterle 32 veces más, a ver si revienta.
(Drumpi epic moment)

MikeDX

The music doesn't work yet because the html version doesnt support mod files yet but soon it will. The downloads should work fine though :)

Erkosone

Awesome, simply Awesome.
Thanks for sharing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!