Post for creating guides on how to port to different platforms.

Started by square, December 23, 2013, 06:21:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

square

A suggestion, as the community are very involved with porting to different platforms...
Ending of bennu games is production - then distribution. This is essential for games-maker's success when they have spent the time creating a game.

Could we have better functionality in ports? Or, platform specific documentation further than asking for the forum help?

I'm willing to write a guide to improve the situation for users who want to port their games to GP2XZ Caanoo or Wii or just general porting information, lending some experience. Maybe write a sticky thread, or wiki section. I don't speak/write spanish, regretfully.

What do you think?

(sorry about the heavy english and I have edited this post)
Square-theorist.

JaViS

I think it's a great idea and will be a huge help for everybody. Ppl with some knowledge can contribute directly in this post for you to advance with your work. The wiki is a good place to write those guides.

Let us know if you need help-
Working on Anarkade. A couch multiplayer 2D shooter.

square

Thanks for the quick reply.

I would like to start posts in Caanoo and Wii subforums so people can find these in the right places... they can be linked to from anywhere. Wiki things are usually more hidden... but no harm in copying some useful information there on general porting issues. Unless anyone objects. [edit] Sorry I missed your suggestion first time posting JaViS.

Awaiting a forum decision that these can be "Sticky" posts if any admin can do this. Even if not I'll write something. The most time I've spent in porting is when using peripherals... I have used forum code for a joytester... that is fairly universal. Ok, if anyone can help with mobile or android guides I would be very grateful.  :P
Square-theorist.

square

I need "create page" privileges on the Bennuwiki.

Can someone from bennuwiki administration arrange this for user Square please?
Square-theorist.

JaViS

Pyxel needs to give you the permissions, let me see if I can contact him
Working on Anarkade. A couch multiplayer 2D shooter.

panreyes

Hi Square,

As far as I know, you should be able to create pages without any special permission. It may be a wikimedia's bug

So, I just upgraded your permissions to admin :)

square

Thanks for the admin Pixel.  :P

I'm currently working on a section about porting at the BennuWiki. It needs a section on testing and peripherals and I am finished there.

The current Documentation page "General" was leading to what was basically a blank page, so I changed that page, with a header leading people to the front page of the Wiki and the What is Bennu? page.

Pixel: I've noticed the very first link on the left navbar is Site then the main link. I think people miss the fact this dosen't lead anywhere in the wiki - could you change the main link to read "BennuGD" or "bennugd.org" as I used to click here myself and it's just a little misleading. Thanks
Square-theorist.

panreyes

[size=78%]I don't have any idea about how to edit the wiki, feel free to do that yourself :)[/size]