Main Menu

Work diary

Started by Drumpi, November 23, 2009, 04:59:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drumpi

I usually am like a vane: sometimes i'm happy and do a lot of work, sometimes i'm bored and so, i'm tired, but today i went to "i wish a bed to sleep" to "more, more, more level edit!!!!".
Today, i was totally tired, totally discouraged, but tonight, in three minutes, i was making the hardness of (really) first level.

Yes, this two days i was doing very few thinks: yesterday i made another enemy, a very strong guerrilla guy, be careful with it, you need very lot of shots to defeat, and jump for you if near... but if it's really near he will smash you a VERY strong punch.
Today, i was making the first event... but only graphics, i didn't wanna program, and i'm having serious troubles with my level editor: it was made with my first tile engine and is very slow, i don't need to say what happens when i got two maps opened (hardness and visible map).
So, today i made very fast a conversion tool: it loads the visible map and the hardness map, and add (only) the new columns of the hardness map to de visible map with basic tiles from the last one. Then, i only need to open in my editor and change them without need to open 2 maps.

And, i tried the vehicle code in the old level. I must debug it a lot, it has lots of troubles and don't know if it finally will be into the game. I want it, but if i don't have time to make two levels, maybe i don't put it in.

But i was happy, so go on. I made a good starting for first level, with some hidden secrets. Tomorrow i will make more and add a few new tiles. I will try the level change code, and if it works, the first level will be divided in zones. I cannot use two layers of tiles, so if i want to change background, this is the only way.
Hala, como con 1001 procesos sólo va a 9 FPS, vamos a meterle 32 veces más, a ver si revienta.
(Drumpi epic moment)

Drumpi

Hello, people:

Another night, and a headache "gutten gutten". I was making a level until my head was near to explode, because tomorrow maybe will be the last day to finish the game.
No, tomorrow i'm not will finish Doggy!!!, why? go by parts.

As i'm reading in the last log, i just started the new first level. Well, i did the first screen yesterday, about 150 tiles wide, so i tried to code the level/zone change. Well, it works, i must change some code, but i was testing code, so it's OK... i think. So, i made some of the second screen of first level, and, as i said, it uses another tiles, and now i can do a background if scroll fit in WIZ CPU (it means "if scrolls fit in GP2X overclocked CPU" ;D).
This morning i must do a few things before have breakfast, but i didn't complete even now. I do the hitting effect of enemies, nothing expectacular, but it works, and made the first event of the game: it took me all the afternoon.

I went to watch "Avatar", so i can't work all i want (sometimes, i must rest). So i worked to late making the second screen.
Yesterday, also, made some modifications to the conversion code, because it don't works with actual level.

Tomorrow, i don't know what i'm going to do. Maybe i do the buttons code to open doors, make some enemies, make the third of 5 screens of first level and draw some new tiles, but is new year eve, so i don't know how many time can i use.
So... HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!
Hala, como con 1001 procesos sólo va a 9 FPS, vamos a meterle 32 veces más, a ver si revienta.
(Drumpi epic moment)

Drumpi

This is my last log...

Until return on 6th ;D It's Christmas time, so i'm going to see my uncles.
Ok, to finish the year, i did a little things. I can wrote code to do buttons to open doors and other ways in the level, there is two doors in first level now, so now you must walk a little more to get the end of the level ;).
Also, i got the needed code to make Echo get hurts. I tested it with guerrilla shots and works fine.

I must finish the game today, but (as always) it was impossible, so i hope i can finish it in no time after this trip (some enemies, more tiles, a pair of bosses, and, of course, menu, configuration and sound).

Happy new year!!!
(Drumpi epic moment)

Drumpi

Hello, guys, i'm back... where did you go?

Well, it's a bit late from 6th, but if i wrote that day, i didn't have nothing to wrote ;D
So, this days i was writing some code, those little things that diference between a work from a good work.
Also, i completed the adding weapons system a few minutes ago, so now i can test without using command console. With this, i could write code for change weapons and finish all items for interface. Now i got 2 weapons (yes, i did another one, i hope i will get time to do the third, my favourite, but hard to code).
I did another enemy, a flying one, very dumb, and did his graphics, but i didn't test it.

And i started with sound tests. I get the shot FX who give me my musician and started to modify it to adapt to my thinkings. It's really cool, it's the first time i work in sound edition, so be gentle :D
And did a little trick and get the first music to test with him, and the game wins a lot with it, really. Now it becomes a real game.

I forgot to tell you about my tests on GP2X: the game works fine all the time i played (pre-trip version), sometimes i lost 1 or 2 frames if there are more than 7 enemies/items jumping around, but nothing serious. The BIG problem is the event, the only thing i can say without spolier you is if you shots a few bullets, the game slows at 50%. It's like Metal Slug original arcade, but it's still playable. I hope Wiz can run it better (it must, it's about 3 times faster).

OK, now, i'm going to sleep. Tomorrow... i don't know, i must add some enemies to the levels, and make more levels, the first it's still not decorated.
(Drumpi epic moment)

Drumpi

Hello again:

I'm back from some sking days. So, i didn't do so much.
I was coding some more enemies, now i got 2 fliying guys, add a new spider (same code, new graphics), an add 3 or 4 enemies more, only one got his graphics, now i must do  more graphics.
Enemies are taking lots of time, but i added some to the first level and now is funnier than before (but Echo don't get hurt).
Finally, I finished the second screen of first level, it's about 200 tiles height, but it's a climbing level, so it's longer than you expect, and has a lot of hidden places. I must fix some errors (an imposible jump and a visible tiles that not match with hardness), and add the items. I made a special place to hide a great item, you cannot see it, and it will take some tries before you can get it, i hope i can code it before next week.

So tomorrow i will test the new enemies, an must write some killer funtions because items of previous levels are still in next screens ^^U.
I must do the explosions too and the Echo death (hurts and lives lost... if i add lives to game). With more enemies for second level, some events and fixing the motorbike (if i put it in the game), the only thing i must do is... build levels. I got two weeks. If in one week i get it all, maybe i will add a third level.
(Drumpi epic moment)

Windgate

Hi Drumpi, sorry, I have been following your project from the beggining, but nowadays Im very busy and I had to leave my conquest project...

Everything seems very interesting, but it would be nice if you upload any screens, an image is better than hundred words :P

Good luck dude
Iván García Subero. Programador, profesor de informática, monitor de actividades culturales y presidente de TRINIT Asociación de Informáticos de Zaragoza. http://trinit.es

Drumpi

Oh, this is a really bad news. I hope you can finish soon and have some time to make something. I REALLY want to match with you... and all people who can.

But, if you cannot take part of the competition, what can we do? (seriously, try it ;) )

Well, let's go to the worklog:

If you can remember, i put some images in the other section of this subforum. I don't want to show more than i showed before, because there isn't much more to view. The game maybe will had two levels, and if i put some screenshots, there will be nothing new when you play the game. I hope you can understand it.

The levels shows almost the same than the images. I add some decoration and still working in backgrounds, the performance it's near the GP2X limit and i don't know if i could add an scroll (even with transparency flag, for some effects).
But i add a lot of enemies. There are some chaotic zones where you are attacked from above, bottom and front at the same time if you run.
I did some enemies more, i liked to do some basic AI, now that i can't worry about movement. But the more enemies i do, the more enemies i need. Now i must do another enemy, invencible, only for avoid, or another firing... and i did five enemies to this first level (seven if we look code). Also, I must do the same with second level, and i'm not talking about bosses.

But, i finished the first screen of first level. The second screen only needs to put enemies and today i started the third, with more switches. I hope i can add some "puzzles" as i like.
The second level is on "freeze state". I need to finish (or almost) the first to decide if i do a third level with motorbike, two levels with the motorbike in the second or finally i must delete the motorbike. It's sad, because if i had some more time maybe i can do a motorbike that can climb walls... but first it must run well ^^U

OK, 12 days remaining. Tomorrow i hope i can code two switches actions to use it intensively, and can make the first event on first level. And if i have time, doing part of third screen or putting enemies on second.
But i'm still need to code the "get item" action, and dead of Echo. Half of enemies get hurts Echo, but he still don't die. The difficult isn't adjusted yet: you can upgrade weapons too easily and game becomes a trip, but else, there are so much enemies and game "stops" continuously.

There is no much to code (i hope), but level editing is hard. As i said before, i haven't the best tool for it (soooooooooo slow).
I must go to sleep.
(Drumpi epic moment)

Drumpi

Wow, this day was... have been... well, i was working A LOT.

First, hi to everyone who are reading me. I think i was readed by 10 people of this forum, but it looks like there is someone more out there :D I was writing this to take out the stress, but now i must shut up a little more for not reveal important data ;D

I'm joking. I'm going to write as same as always.
Ok, let's update.
Last time i forgot to say that i wrote the code to changue volume to the game. I was going deaf because the HIGH volume of GP2X when i was testing. So now volume keys (+ and - of numeric keyboard on PC) works.
As i said, i worked on two switches actions, and works fine, and i'm using it intensively. You will can watch it on third screen of first level, i made lots of puzzles. They aren't too dificult, just search-and-fire the hidden switches, and do some rounds to follow the path to exit. With this, the third screen (the one i was working today), with 240 tiles widht, triplicate his duration.
I cannot tell you how long it takes on a speed-run test (without enemies), because i cannot test it. The first reason it's i finished it some minutes ago. It's no excuse, because i finished it TOTALLY, decoration included (well, maybe i need to add some tiles more to end it). Usually, i test it with basic tiles, so let's know the second reason:

Yesterday i was working on the spoked first event. Call it event or call it BOSS. I worked on it ALL DAY... and it isn't still finished. I works, all i coded, but i need to make another "part" and give him "mortality". If he doesn't die, event can't end, and i cannot go to the level to test ^^U

But this third level, if it's like i hope, will be better than the others... because i like to design puzzles (mi nick is for a platform game i made, but with puzzles), and it's different. So this first level you can play three types of game, one per screen..... UPS! too much information.

And, when i was watching the end of this first event... i crashed to another event. Tomorrow i must end this first, and then start with the second, with an amazing end... if i have time.

In the other side, my musician it's still working on second level melody. The first is almost ended, and got the main theme. The big matter is SFX. We only have one! there is no other sounds in game but shoots (and only for one weapon). I'm used to work in mute games, so sound it's an unexplored new world for me. The game (i think) rules without them, but SFX are essential for a good game.

OK, let's focus on tomorrow: end first event, draw second, test third screen an put enemies on second. I hope i can code some of second event and do the "get item" action finally. And don't forget to finish the other event i made, it still don't shoot since weeks ago.

Good night to all!!
(Drumpi epic moment)

Drumpi

Every step i take...
Every tile i place......
Every shoot i make, every event beat, i'll be near to end ;D

Sorry, it's late (as always) and got a big headache :P
But these thinks are the things who make me continue working. I'm delayed, very. The two levels must be over, but i'm on the middle of fourth screen of first level, and i don't touch the second :S

I finished the first event, adding something more to interface. I think it's easy, but my tester (musician) thinks otherwise. I don't know, but the hardest the game, the longer it takes.
So, i could test the third screen, and yes, it's a great level (i almost forgot all puzzles i made ^^U). Now i must put enemies, like i did on second, finally. I put a little less enemies, but in good places, almost perfectly placed.

Yesterday, my musician leave me some musics, 5 of them news, so they were more work to me. I put music on game, definitely (a process who play music opening, and then, the music loop). But i spent most time on the "get item" action. My partner send me an awesome fanfarre, so i must did it. It's very spectacular (we think so).

Today was the second tired day. Yeah, i must finish, so i was doing fourth screen. It's like making a building, and i must follow some rules to make a bridge, a room... an must do a puzzle, and must put enemies on it...
So i made in three days the work of one :S Three hours ago i started drawing second event, an i've got half. Not bad. But now i must code it, it can take me two days easily.

I have no time to miss, tomorrow i MUST finish first level. It means finish fourth screen and put enemies on it and third. And i must do the second event. It's hard but i will try. So i can finish second event on tuesday and start the third and can do some of second level.
If every thing goes well, on thursday will be ended. If i have time i will put a "level select" mode with unlockable content.

Almost forgot. I've done some things to improve perfomance in one event. I don't test it. And got some ideas to improve more the perfomance. I hope it will help when i put a scroll.
I must balance the difficulty, it's too easy to rise weapons to max level, and enemies die so soon.
(Drumpi epic moment)

Drumpi

In days like this, i always remember the off voice of Turok 2 when you loses a live:

6 DAYS REMAINING:

Don't panic...
No, don't panic. I need to go to bed.

A hard work day. But not productive. I'm starting to HATE my Tilemap Editor. But the colors i choosed give me strength to don't give up. I give it 10 frameskip, but it works at a frame every 2 seconds. It takes me 2 HOURS to put enemies on third screen ¡2 HOURS!

I cannot blame it, i'm moving more than 7000 process at the same time, double if i'm placing enemies (hardness and visible map).

Yes: the third screen is finished (have some "conflictive points", but it's cool at all). The fourth is... almost. Before dinner i got 95% of hardness made, and thanks to a simple code (yes, the conversion tool i talked about one month) now i got 99% of level complete. The only thing i miss is to hide the secret paths and PUT THE ENMIES :(
The worst part is: this screen is, maybe, the bigger map i made in all the game. It isn't the longest, but it's a climb level, wider than the others. If i must compare with original "Cave Story", it's almost as big as one of his actions levels (and it have got ¿7?).

Nothing more made.
Well, musician gives me the ¿finals? music files for both levels. Also a new fanfare and some FX. If i can run my sound editor, maybe i can make some changes to fit in game.
So, tomorrow i will finish first level, and start coding second event, an third if i can. Or else, start making another part of second level.
(Drumpi epic moment)

Drumpi

5 DAYS REAMINING:

Scare, scare, scare.
Bad day, i'm delayed more. Today i only can do two things: first is the fourth screen (warning, this level is harder than the others, i dead one time of the three games i played... but i only had the basics).
Second... just see.

I made almost all graphics of this "little friend", and i coded two of his 6 states, so it will take me lot of time :S
But, tomorrow must be ended, and start with an event and second level.
(Drumpi epic moment)

Drumpi

4 DAYS REMAINING:

I don't know how i wasted all day in so little things.
Really, today i ended only this boss. I got some troubles with code... maybe all troubles i could get. But is finished.
It's a good boss, hard with powerless weapons, easy with powered guns.

Also, i made the finish of this third screen. I told you that probably i need to add some tiles more to it.

I hoped i could do some of new event, but i can't draw it. So i must do it entirely tomorrow, and the new weapon. Tomorrow it's thursday, and second level must be finished. And sound...
Argh! so many time...
(Drumpi epic moment)

josebita

Come on! You know you can do it!

Drumpi

Thanks for this words, i REALLY need it!!!

3 DAYS REMAINING:

Could anything goes worst? yes, it can.
My cousin cames to visit me. I haven't seen him long time ago, so i must stop coding today.
But he can test the game and i did some minor fixes to difficult. He plays all game i have, and it tooks around 1 hour playing: he gets 40% of items an dead around 5 or 6 times.
So, difficulty is in the exact point i want ;D I can pass all game in 20 minutes with 100% items and no lives lost. Finally i will add lives to game.

And this is what i'm working today... well, not exactly. I was working in pause menu and the exit option: now i can go to presentation from game (if it was done) and can "hard-exit" with ESC key. I added GPH and Bennu logos, they weren't coded ^^U
And i started with promised third event. Is essential to add it to the game because it's the ending level event. I can continue without second event of second level, but not without this. This event forced me to change slightly the last screen i made, and i must do something similar with the last event.

Well, tomorrow i must finish this event, the slight change i mentioned and add the last thing to the other. I will change audio system, because of loops of songs. I must continue with second level and final event, but i want to do the last weapon.

If i do, i'm still need to do start menu, half of second level, last event and lives system. If Splinter gives me three days more, i will add a special level and a unlock mode. With this, you must play the game 3 times at least if you wanna play 100% entirely (2 if you are a game machine). I beg for it!!!!
(Drumpi epic moment)

gecko

wow! it would be a very long game!

good work!
Torres Baldi Studio
http://torresbaldi.com