DIVDX Wishlist

Started by MikeDX, February 14, 2016, 03:59:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeDX

Quote from: darío on February 23, 2016, 11:49:42 PM
Fenix/Bennu/PixTudio already supported 16 and 32bpp maps, fpgs and fnts. I guess what Drumpi is asking is if it is not possible to use Bennu's Map and Fpg formats for the 16 and 32bpp versions. That would bbe of course very interesting, because there is already a limited amount of tools that can operate these formats, but you might have other plans... In that case I hope you opt for different magic numers than bennu uses today (bennu uses "m16", "m32", "f16", "f32") so as not to complicate the live for the already existing tools.

Bennu/PixTudio formats support transparently GZip compression.

Well, this is an interesting point

I don't think it is in Div's interest to adopt 3rd party formats, even if they are from forks of a copy system. The DIV FPG Header uses fpg\x1a\x0d\x0a - and i'm going to guess (since i dont know) that m16 / m32 / f16 / f32 are used in place of the original "fpg" first 3 bytes

Also I am not sure it is is wise to adopt a file format "owned" by bennu for the div main branch

Maybe I will support the bennu formats and also have a more "official" fpg format :)

panreyes

It's not "Bennu's format". It's, in fact, Fénix format, and it's supported by Fénix/BennuGD/PixTudio/DivGO and all of its tools.

The only "div-like" not supporting it is Gemix.

In my opinion, the best for the community would be that official DIV supported the "de-facto" standard created in Fénix.
It would help the community to use different div-likes easier.

Anyway, those formats can't be copyrighted or patented.

MikeDX

Quote from: PiXeL on February 24, 2016, 11:50:31 AM
It's not "Bennu's format". It's, in fact, Fénix format, and it's supported by Fénix/BennuGD/PixTudio/DivGO and all of its tools.

The only "div-like" not supporting it is Gemix.

In my opinion, the best for the community would be that official DIV supported the "de-facto" standard created in Fénix.
It would help the community to use different div-likes easier.

Anyway, those formats can't be copyrighted or patented.

Ok well i will consider them

However saying that only gemix doesn't suppory those formats is a little bit bad, since fenix,bennu and pixtuduo all share a codebase so the format is inherited. (Asside from divgo of course)

The move to 32bits is a big step, and it's important we have this discussion. I need to look into the fenix 32/16 formats and see how well they fit. It would be silly of me to reject the formats without looking into them but also silly for me to adopt them as "official" without investigation :)

FreeYourMind

I don't remember right now.

It's possible to compile a .prg in command line ?

Example:  @d.exe mygame.prg

JaViS

Quote from: MikeDX on February 24, 2016, 04:05:17 PM
The move to 32bits is a big step, and it's important we have this discussion. I need to look into the fenix 32/16 formats and see how well they fit. It would be silly of me to reject the formats without looking into them but also silly for me to adopt them as "official" without investigation :)

Agree!

These projects are all open source, and I really think they can help DIV catch up with the latest features faster. But it's importante to do a good implementation.
Working on Anarkade. A couch multiplayer 2D shooter.

Drumpi

Yes, it's a good point. There are a few differences between DIV FPG and Fenix Fxx formats. They are minor, but what you say, you can force to put as official if:
- They are free but not DIVX.
- They aren't 100% compatible (I didn't know about Gemix).
- There are tools for file conversion.

And yes, they are huge, but when they are loaded, they are unpacked, always. Even when they are gzip compressed, PNG format, or anything else. I don't know the impact of using memory compressed maps.
Hala, como con 1001 procesos sólo va a 9 FPS, vamos a meterle 32 veces más, a ver si revienta.
(Drumpi epic moment)

MikeDX

Quote from: FreeYourMind on February 24, 2016, 04:10:36 PM
I don't remember right now.

It's possible to compile a .prg in command line ?

Example:  @d.exe mygame.prg

no not yet, this is a future feature although the ide can currently handle it. Since there is no div32run.dll equivalent at the moment, compiling the prg is a little unhelpful :)

darío

If the specification is open I do not see a big deal in having a new format, but at the same time I believe that bringing a new format without any added value compared to the existing ones might not be the best. If, on the other hand, the new formats respond to some real need, then I can only wish that they will be open enough so as we can support them outside DIV gui, and that they are easily distinguished in their headers as compared to the formats used by other div-likes.

My sites:
Smart Fpg Editor - Painless FPG Edition for Bennu and PixTudio
fenixlib - .NET support for manipulating PixTudio, Bennu and Div graphic formats

Fuynfactory

he used format would be great * .ogg or * .mp3 music
* .prg also cut files in multiple using similar BennuGD include for easier debug
and put flag to debugger in code

MikeDX

Quote from: Fuynfactory on March 01, 2016, 11:07:41 AM
he used format would be great * .ogg or * .mp3 music
* .prg also cut files in multiple using similar BennuGD include for easier debug
and put flag to debugger in code

OGG and MP3 support is on the road map, as is PRG includes :)

popcade

Unicode and TTF support is pretty useful for targeting many other language users if possible.

But this may break some existing string operation.