iOS & Android port advance info

Started by josebita, June 09, 2011, 03:51:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

josebita

I've just posted in my bennugd-mobile worklog and in the port's Google Code project site a tutorial and a Xcode template for running your BennuGD games in your iOS device right from Xcode. It'll only be useful to those who have paid for a iOS development license from Apple, not for those developing through jailbreak.
It won't work in the iOS emulator yet, either, although I hope it will soon.

http://bennugd-mobile.blogspot.com/2011/06/xcode-4-template-for-running-bennugd.html

I think it's really easy to do.
Also, I'll keep posting major news in this thread, but I recommend those interested in iOS development to follow the blog, as I might miss to announce some things.

[Edit] The template also includes an updated BennuGD build.

josebita

panreyes

How do I compile it for iOS?

josebita

If you've got a developer license, just do as explained in my bennugd-mobile blog.
If you don't have it, compile the dcb normally and add the "main" and Info.plist files found in the template in the google code page in your computer and copy the whole game to your device by SSH.
If you jut want to play the game, just copy your .app foler (bundle) to /Applications in the device. If you want to fully replicate the installation the user will be doing, copy it to /User/Applications, under a folder with the same alphanumerical scheme as those found there.

If you need more info, just ask.

Phoenix

josebita

I have updated the monolithic code to be in sync with the latest upstream version.
I believe I didn't break anything as both the Android & the iOS code seem to compile and run just as before.

Would've loved to work on fixing issues with the Android code, but I've run out of time for today :(

FreeYourMind

Are you compiled again the android version and it work ?

josebita

It compiles, but doesn't seem to be working yet.

MisterN

When the android port comes out, how would we still compile our stuff and could I put a virtual controller on the thing?
werg

josebita

The port right now can use the DCBs compiled in most systems (except for Wii).
Appart for that, you'll have to implement some on-screen controls in BennuGD code.

MisterN

werg

josebita

I've just submitted new code to the repo. It now handles mode setting directly through SDL 1.3 (instead of the bogus SDL1.2->SDL1.3 compatibility layer). There's a catch, though: as of now you'll have to set scale_resolution for the screen to redraw.
I'll try to fix that ASAP.

I believe this change also fixes the bug that doesn't allow you to call set_mode in android, although I haven't tested it.

MisterN

well whenever there is a release and if i can "multitouch" the game (even though on a touch screen its "mouse" controlled, in a way; i can still touch multiple things on screen) my game will be on one more system (im planning on windows, dreamcast, and droid)
werg

josebita

I just made an interesnting commit (if you're into commits, that is) to my branch with changes related to SDL 1.3 support. Main changes are:

• Finally got rid of the SDL compat layer! (I'm still using it for the mod_key/libkey modules, but I'm not compiling those for the devices).
  • Updated sample bennugd code to include a bouncing PNG.
  • Modes set with scale_resolution and normal seem to redraw the screen fine (although the screen pixel format is not yet correct).
  • Orientation is starting to get set automatically now (there are things to fix yet, though). If width>height, the iOS device will default to a landscape configuration.
  • Other minor changes.
There are still some bugs I must fix before releasing a new binary, but things are progressing nicely :)

josebita

I'm publishing a new binary for Android so that people can test it. It's really buggy in the sense that:
* You cannot use set_mode(), just assume the video mode has already been set to fullscreen.
* Rotating your phone seems to make SDL unhappy.
* Sound playback is still very buggy (But this is SDL's fault :P).
* For the program to work, you must install the APK and then place your main dcb file in a folder named "data" in your sdcard and name it "main.dcb".

Binary+test program that shows how to get your phone's resolution.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=8L12GETJ
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=GGYPT0PU

[Edit] The music playback crash was fixed long ago in SDL_mixer upstream, I just hadn't updated the code.