DC port from DoctorN?

Started by MisterN, October 03, 2011, 12:08:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

josebita

Latest version is here: http://www.bennugd.org/node/2

What I don't quite understand is how did it compile. Does DC support shared libraries? Otherwise what you got is just probably the interpreter... Not a bad start at all but not very useful without the modules....

Another thing you need to know is how managing the file system works: in the Wii you have to initialize it manually. How does that work in the DC? Does it use drives like windows?

MisterN

DC uses drives like windows, for example, installing an sd card into the system, it reads it as a drive. i got both the compiler and interpreter. all i saw was the regulat bennu on that download page.
werg

FreeYourMind

MisterN

some guy told me I need to open the source code, that makes no sense. the source is a .tar.bz2 file correct? well how would you open that to view the source code? he said in the source code all i would really need to do is change all wii things to dremacast things. but the how would i make bgdc.elf and bdgi.elf combine into one 1st_read.bin?

http://www.boob.co.uk/tutorials/guide.html

kos opens .bz2 files by the way
werg

handsource-dyko

A ".tar.bz2" file is a compressed archive just like zip, only a unix-style format. You can upack it with 7-zip. This has nothing to do with opening the source code, that's something completely different (means sharing your work with others in source form so that they can study or alter it).

BlackCurtain

Quote from: DoctorN on October 03, 2011, 01:24:24 PM
lololol you said DC is obsolete
The Dreamcast has been obsolete since around 2003 when all unsold consoles returned to the manufacturers. No licensed games has been made since, only unofficial non-licensed commercial games which doesn't really count to the official Dreamcast library from when the console was still in the market.

SplinterGU

Quote from: BlackCurtain on October 04, 2011, 06:13:05 PM
The Dreamcast has been obsolete since around 2003 when all unsold consoles returned to the manufacturers. No licensed games has been made since, only unofficial non-licensed commercial games which doesn't really count to the official Dreamcast library from when the console was still in the market.

thanks! I'll already said that Dreamcast is obsolete! :)

Thanks and karma for the info!
Download Lastest BennuGD Release: http://www.bennugd.org/node/2

FreeYourMind

The DC is not obsolete....
Many DC clones exists on the market, and the power of a DC actually still very good.
There are many homebrew games, just like Bennu, so Bennu for DC is a great thing...

SplinterGU

Quote from: FreeYourMind on October 04, 2011, 07:26:16 PM
The DC is not obsolete....
Many DC clones exists on the market, and the power of a DC actually still very good.
There are many homebrew games, just like Bennu, so Bennu for DC is a great thing...

Atari clones exists on the market, too... ;)

We are talking about Sega's licenced and official games, and commercial consoles from Sega, all other is obsolete and homebrew...

for example, ps2 is not obsolete, Sony continue selling it...

edit: anyway, where you saw DC clones on the market? please, give me links, can be interest...

Captain Dreamcast

Quote from: SplinterGU on October 04, 2011, 07:30:03 PM
for example, ps2 is not obsolete, Sony continue selling it...
The Dreamcast has been obsolete since around 2003 when all unsold consoles returned to the manufacturers.
Nah, that's the point where I just have to jump in.  ;D

Ah, where are my manners. The name's Josh Tari, Dreamcast programmer and womanizer, and currently, well, programming games for the Sega Dreamcast. Now that we have established that I am everything but neutral, let us reconsider the facts at hand.

Obsoleteness is, on all accounts, not really a relevant factor. After all, what you are really going for is your TARGET_AUDIENCE. Now, even though Ga... err, Playstations are still being sold, 99.83% of all Playstation gamers are unaware of its capabilities to play burned discs/homebrew. On the other hand, even the casual Dreamcast gamers know that all you need to do is burn a disc and pump it in. Even when considering the tremendous difference as far as absolute values go, the Dreamcast scene still holds up well when compared to the Playstation 2 scene, which was near nonexistant to begin with.

Ah, but that is secondary to our profession, is it not? The hardware is the real important thing when thinking about porting. Well, let's ignore the fact that the Dreamcast has not only pre-configured cross-compiling toolchains and an incredible Development library called KallistiOS readily available, but even the raw console specs can turn the favors towards the Dreamcast. Heck, I'll admit I have no clue about the PSP, but the whole DC vs PS2 thing has been recited so many times already, it has been established that the DC has a lower processor power, but is way better with Graphics processing.

Ah well, in the end it's your call. Your port, your choice.  ;)

SplinterGU

Hi Josh, and wellcome.

We don't talk about if DC is better that PS2... we only said that DC is officially obsolete... that DC's homebrew exists we can't say that DC is active or that commercial and licenced games are selling...

we can say that DC have a great hardware, but it is obsolete... obsolete because DC don't have support from Sega and don't have new licenced games...

PS2 continue selling and have full support from Sony, and new games are coming out all time.

PS2 continue no by homebrew, PS2 still continue by his piracy capability. (here in argentine, the PS2 is sell only by this reason, piracy)

I don't have DC hardware, and the cost of buy it don't justify for a obsolete console...

for this reason, I don't have interest in make a port to DC... (neither I don't have interest in make a PS2's port)

MisterN

no karous (2007) is the last liscensed game. maybe maybe u mad cause you dont have one? SEGA dropped dreamcast, not us, official/unofficial means nothing. Dremacast collection (2011) for xbox 360?

and you do realize for $35 a used dremacast is, if it is made before 2001 (read el sticker) you can download the .cdi files for games off the internet and burn them with disc juggler (meaning you just paid for the hardware).

TOO OFF TOPIC

I need help getting it to work
werg

SplinterGU

Quote from: FreeYourMind on October 04, 2011, 10:01:08 PM
http://www.hardcore-gamer.net/tienda/product_info.php/products_id/400

Is a joke? you are comedian?

"Producto actualmente no disponible."

don't shit me... please, tell me where to buy a new DC (with warranty) at a store, as you ensure that sold.

SplinterGU

Quote from: DoctorN on October 04, 2011, 10:01:57 PM

no karous (2007) is the last liscensed game. maybe maybe u mad cause you dont have one? SEGA dropped dreamcast, not us, official/unofficial means nothing. Dremacast collection (2011) for xbox 360?

and you do realize for $35 a used dremacast is, if it is made before 2001 (read el sticker) you can download the .cdi files for games off the internet and burn them with disc juggler (meaning you just paid for the hardware).

TOO OFF TOPIC

I need help getting it to work

"Dremacast collection (2011) for xbox 360?" mean that Dreamcast is active???!!! please, don't shit me...

you all are jokers now?

35$ for a used dreamcast? I'll wish it... but it's a lie... a used dreamcast cost above 140$... you don't say 35$ and no considere shipping and customs costs...