BennuGD in iOS (iPhone, iPad, iPod)

Started by josebita, December 05, 2010, 07:20:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

josebita

For anybody that didn't read this in the main site yet, I've started a BennuGD port to the iOS (iPhone, iPad, iPod).
In case you're interested, it's based on my code for BennuGD on the Wii and you can see a video of a very early version running on an iPad in the link below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k28fCuyyRrQ

Will keep you updated as I progress.

Mr Matsusaka

blostec

Good, which is the current state of the port?

josebita

All the official modules seem to be working as expected, except for touch which is acting a bit weird yet. I won't be able to work on this in a little bit of time, but be sure that it's coming.

handsource-dyko

Last week I was thinking deeply philosophical about gaming mobile platforms, and came to the conclusion that these IOS devices are not really developed with games in mind, because they don't have buttons like dedicated handheld game consoles like the gameboy and the gpe wiz. I've seen some screenshots of a commodore c64 emulator on the Iphone, and it uses touch input to simulate a gamepad. I know that the Iphone/Ipod touch are actively promoted as gaming platform, but not having proper buttons like a gameboy or gpe wiz/cannoo etc seems kind of awkward to me.  ::)

just for curiosity how does bennu handle input on the IOS? I'd figured that touch screen input would work great for card games, but not for platformers or shooters. Is it possible to connect a usb gamepad on the Ipad? I really can't envision myself playing mario or sonic with only a touch screen. ???

Drumpi

This is because iPhone needs new gameplay. You probably can do classic games emulating buttons, but it will not work as well as a gamepad, because you don't feel the buttons.
Maybe you must emulate DPad as Super Mario 64 DS emulates analog pad on touch screen (where you put your finger is center, and then rub to the direction you want).
But i get another type of gameplay with can work better, and this is how you can play "Screen Break Time" last level using only touchscreen. Really, i didn't spect you can play it using your thumbs so well: sides of screen, at medium height, to walk, high height to jump and low height to fall. Better play to watch what i'm saying (no, it isn't spam :D seriously, try it).
Hala, como con 1001 procesos sólo va a 9 FPS, vamos a meterle 32 veces más, a ver si revienta.
(Drumpi epic moment)

josebita

For what I've seen up until now, games are trying to find new ways to interact with the user.
Right now, touch input emulates a mouse. Multitouch should require mouse to become a struct with ten or so elements, so there'd be mouse[1], mouse[2].... and mouse would mean the same as mouse[0] to keep backwards compatiblity.
But also, an appropriate gesture API would be nice.

Drumpi

As always, you can do another mod_mouse only for iThings, with or without compability with official module (that's your choice).
By the way ¡¡¡¡¿10 mouse pointers?!!!! Wow, i thought there will be about two or three pointers at all, but 10 it's a really good number to do lot's of multitouch games (even multiplayer games). Maybe, if i could get 1000€, maybe i must do games for iPhone with Bennu (1000€ for buy a Mac, an iPhone and a developement license :D)
Hala, como con 1001 procesos sólo va a 9 FPS, vamos a meterle 32 veces más, a ver si revienta.
(Drumpi epic moment)

josebita

I have ten fingers, ergo i need ten mice ;)
Seriously, talking with Splinter, he thinks it's possible to implement this in a manner simmilar to how joysticks are. Multitouch is, however, a SDL1.3 feature and therefore he will implement this with time as he feels appropriate.

josebita

Far from done yet, but have a look:

I't my iPod Touch running EEEEK! EEEEEK! HOOOOOOK!!!. Touch is not working as expected, neither is screen rotation.

SplinterGU

Download Lastest BennuGD Release: http://www.bennugd.org/node/2

josebita

I believe I've found a bug with libmouse: it respects scale_resolution but not scale_resolution_orientation. Isn't that true?.

josebita

Eek running beatifully (appart from the rotation weirdness) and a part of my left leg :) Sorry for the low quality of the photos, I'm taking them with my phone...

SplinterGU

mmm... maybe, but I don't think so... but, I don't know...
Download Lastest BennuGD Release: http://www.bennugd.org/node/2